I need help figuring out the addressing of an expansion slot DL06 PLC

I have a DL06 PLC from Automation direct and I am trying to learn how to use the expansions slots in my program. Coming off of allen Bradley PLC's, I remember I just enter whatever address it was in the program like O:2/4 for example. Since I am new to Automation direct and Direct Logic, I am still trying to figure out how to program these. The expansion module I have is D0-16TD2. I am using one of their zip link cables as well.

David

you will have to read the manual, Automation direct is so different than AB that if you do not, you'll never be able to utilize the available addresses properly. A lot of "addresses" are for internal plc use and using them can screw other things up. (Read the manual!)

In chapter 5 it barely touches on I/O configuration but does not really have much details at all on expansion slots or how to address them in the program. I am going to keep reading and doing more searching but have not found anything yet.

In chapter 5 it barely touches on I/O configuration but does not really have much details at all on expansion slots or how to address them in the program. I am going to keep reading and doing more searching but have not found anything yet.

I don't have the software installed right now, give me about an hour and I'll see what I can do, I do know that there is a viewer to look at the installed memory and I/O space, but don't remember the menu choices to get there.

I do remember it is X an y memory for inputs and outputs, and the address space for the I/O module should be (if I remember right) starting at octal 10 and 20 and should be prefaced with an X for output.

that would be x100 for the first output and x117 for the last, but check it out, my memory gets things wrong sometimes.

X is inputs. Y is outputs.
Addressing of the PLC outputs is in banks of 8. For the DL06, it's Y0-Y7 and Y10-Y17.
For the optional module, assuming slot 1:
From page 2-15 of the DO-Options Manual:
D0-10TD2 10 Output 16 Output (6 unused) Y100 - Y107 and Y110 - Y111

16 outputs are consumed. Y112-Y117 aren't available.

Last edited:
X is inputs. Y is outputs.
Addressing of the PLC outputs is in banks of 8. For the DL06, it's Y0-Y7 and Y10-Y17.
For the optional module, assuming slot 1:
From page 2-15 of the DO-Options Manual:
D0-10TD2 10 Output 16 Output (6 unused) Y100 - Y107 and Y110 - Y111

16 outputs are consumed. Y112-Y117 aren't available.

OK, got the X and Y mixed up(memory not what it used to be), but what you are saying would only add up to 9 outputs. I think it should be Y100 to y107 and Y110 to y117, That would be 16 outputs. (basic octal counting)

Yes, you're correct. I screwed up. The OP is using a DO-16TD2. 16 outputs. My wrong answer was for a DT-10TD2, only 10 outputs. On that one, it still gobbles up 16 addresses.

OK, Yes I see you had the wrong module. Least you had the right suffix, hate getting old! Memory isn't quite what it was :( but then what I do remember is more than enough! :)🍻

When I first saw this post, I thought it would be easy to answer - it wasn't. Couldn't find it in the help section of DirectSOFT 5. Took a look at PLC config, but it's grayed out if you don't have a PLC connected.
Downloaded User Manual. Page 2-13 mentions it, but refers you to the DO-Options manual.
I knew addresses started at 100 in the options slots, but couldn't find a sentence that said it!
Found another hint on page 4-4 of the users manual. There they touch on automatic and manual addressing.

Found a nice chart in the options manual. That page and the next one belong in the Users manual.
Icky812?
It shouldn't have been this difficult.

Last edited:
When I first saw this post, I thought it would be easy to answer - it wasn't. Couldn't find it in the help section of DirectSOFT 5. Took a look at PLC config, but it's grayed out if you don't have a PLC connected.
Downloaded User Manual. Page 2-13 mentions it, but refers you to the DO-Options manual.
I knew addresses started at 100 in the options slots, but couldn't find a sentence that said it!
Found another hint on page 4-4 of the users manual. There they touch on automatic and manual addressing.

Found a nice chart in the options manual. That page and the next one belong in the Users manual.
Icky812?
It shouldn't have been this difficult.
I agree 100% it's one of the reasons I stopped using them, that and the fact that the memory has big holes and doesn't make any logical sense!

... memory has big holes and doesn't make any logical sense!
That's common with many processors. Some PLC's cover this up by establishing their own addressing, and readdressing it in the background.
AD doesn't do that. They give the real CPU address. No problem with that. I come from the hardware world, and don't have a problem with Octal or HEX addressing.
There's many reasons AD is my first choice. There's always room for improvement with documentation, regardless of manufacturer or product.

I guess i am just feeling dumb right now because i cant seem to figure out this wiring of the zip link system. I believe i have the voltage going into the module correct. I also think i have the common ground wire hooked up and also the neative from the load is there as well. Whats kind of confusing is that the zip link pinouts are not the same from one end of the cable to the other. I looked at the diagram in the options manual in chapter 8 and i believe my wiring matches, Even though the diagram is not exactly the same layout as the actual module. I might have to take a picture of my setup and maybe someone on here could help me find what i have wrong