Info on building control panels.

Valkyrie

Is there any books or websites that has information on the specifics for building a control panel. Best way to lay out, wire routing and termination, equipment mounting, proper way to setup a safety relay when using a plc. I have found a lot of Information on automation directs site as that is the plc of choice at the plant that I am now working at. I have a copy of some 70's era JIC standards for machine control but I know a lot has changed since then. I am writing the programs for some up-grades for some of thier machines but they are looking at building some of thier panels in house.
Thanks,
HJG

there is also an excellent article on Rockwell website entitled "system design for control of electrical noise" publication GMC-RM001a-en-p you can probably find it using the search engine there. The article describes some excellent suggestion on seperating equipment according to how much noise they generate, how to devide those devices into zones and sheilding methods.

elevmike said:

The panelbuilding page on patchn.com is just offered as a guideline, there is much more to consider I am sure.

The link elevmike posted is to NFPA 79; Electrical Standard for Industrial Machinery, if you look at that page their is a link to allow you to preview (read) that book.

NEC code book, as most wireway makers, has fill tables to tell you how many wires can be placed per size.

Follow manufacturers guidelines of installation, most devices need X amount of space, on all sides, for ventilation/ heat dissipation.

Layout is just using space appropriately. The main issue, to me, is make it service friendly i.e. if its a 30"x30" panel mounted at eye level then terminals may be anywhere BUT if its an 8' x 8' panel that mounts to the floor, even if on pedastals, then it may be easier to have the terminal strip(s) mounted vertical on the right or left side. I said strip(s) because in some situations you may want to separate AC and DC i.e. maybe AC on one side with DC on other; NOTE that may not have to be done BUT may make it more user friendly.