Managed Switch or Router

I haven't done it myself but it looks like you would just need to enable the Web Server in the Red Lion, and you would select HTTP in the M2Web setup, not VNC.

Yeah, looking at the Crimson manual it appears there is no VNC fuctionality but as bendan suggested select HTTP.
There is a remote access feature unique to crimson in the Web Server setup.
Enable it there.

With the e w o n, would I be able to remotely log into a site's Plc without having to walk an operator or site contact through a login procedure? How would one initiate the connection?

Using the eCatcher client utility. It will establish a secure VPN tunnel to the e Won device via the internet.

I suggest you read the quick start guide.

https://e won.biz/sites/default/files/quick_start_guide_cosy_131.pdf

(copy/paste and remove the space)

Model number of Redlion?
It's a Graphite G07.

I have used the Red Lion G3 and Graphite Web Server numerous times with a LAN and a browser, just by typing in the IP address...with no internet in the path. I have not used the e won before, but we have it set up and working with RSLogix500 and RSLinx Ethernet Devices driver along with the eCatcher software to successfully connect to the PLC through the Internet.

But my customer will want to view the HMI with a phone. I'm not sure what type of phone he has yet. I will have my HMI hardware Thursday and we can test it and try some things out including the settings you have suggested.

EDIT: I just discovered a section of their website that discusses "mobile connectivity", so my answers may lie in this shiny brochure or sales video I just located.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W04NTxS5rQ8

Okay, so they host a web based service that can do more or less what ecatcher does.

Last edited:
You can use M2Web instead of the eCatcher client to connect to the e Won using a browser from a PC, phone, or tablet.

Once you have set up the device to be visible on M2Web (refer to GTUnit's post) with the right port open (HTTP or port 80 for Red Lion) you should be able to connect through the browser once you have authenticated with M2Web.

We seemed to have this all sorted out now. It took me a long time to figure out how to get the m2web app to show the devices. The stupid little blue arrow to the left of the device name was the secret.

So now we changed the account info to better match the end customer and I can still get to it using the ecatcher utility and his user name and password. From my smart phone and m2web, I am getting "unable to build proxy". I may need to wait a little while and try again. Maybe it takes some time for the ether-world to get all its ducks aligned after making changes to the account?

I think the eewaun was a good choice. Seems to be reasonably fast and easy to set up. I can program the PLC from anywhere, likewise for the HMI. Crimson application transfers are a little slower through the VPN tunnel, but online editing of the PLC is reasonably quick, and browser access to the HMI is fast for monitoring, a little slow for data entry, but fine for occasional use.

So now we changed the account info to better match the end customer and I can still get to it using the ecatcher utility and his user name and password. From my smart phone and m2web, I am getting "unable to build proxy".

In case anyone else runs into this, we had to call tech support and they "reset our proxy"...now it is all good to go.

One more thing...The Red Lion HMI is configured to send emails for alarms. We use AuthSMTP service to get around the authentication problem. The settings I got from AuthSMTP have worked well at three other sites, but it appears that I may need to do something special to get the E_W_O_N to allow them to pass through to the internet.

I already checked with their ISP and they have nothing blocked on their end. I can tell that the messages are not getting to the AuthSMTP server based on logs there.

Is there an E_W_O_N expert around who knows if there is a setting I can change to fix this?

I tried changing the LAN settings to "All protocols" and that didn't seem to help.

Thanks!
Paul

You can test connection to an outgoing SMTP server using telnet on port 25.

Get on the LAN side, use your laptop and putty to telnet(using port 25) to the SMTP server and verify you can connect.

IF you can't connect, try flipping over to the WAN side of the device and try the same thing.