Memory lost in SLC500, can't communicate

cpstone

The memory in our SLC-5/05 was lost so I am trying to communicate to it to reload the program. I am using RSLinx with the 1784-PCMK/B connection. I heard that if the memory is lost the default setting when configuring the driver is PCMK, DH+, 57.6K. So i set it to that and could not communicate. I also set it to the original running state which was PCMK, DH+, 230.4K. Also no connection.

Any Ideas

Did you mean a 5/04 (5/05 doesn't have a DH+ port)?

It is possible that the node address reverted as well. I think the default node address is 1. This could cause a duplicate node number on your network which could prevent comms from working. Are you plugged into the mini-din connector right on the CPU?

Last edited:
The 9 pin D shell plug on a SLC5 /03, /04, /05 is an RS232 DF1 port

this is the Comms link I would try for the problem you describe.

What are the exact indications coming from the lights on the front of the SLC.

It is a 5/05. I tried DH+ and DH485. I'm pretty sure I am plugged in right. I have one end plugged ito the PCMK card on the PC and the other end in the ethernet port on the PLC. I did swith it to node 1 and it still doesnt read. I also tried the 232 DF1 Port and it still doesnt connect.

The lights show Run:no loight Ethernet:Green Light RS232: Green Light Fault light: Blinking Red.... Key is in REM position.

Also I am using a standard female to female end RS232 cable. When I have that hooked up the light blinks green.

Also, establishing communication has nothing to do with the program at first, correct? I'm fairly new to these so you may need to walk me through it a bit.

Thanks

A SLC 5/05 is EtherNet, NOT DH+ or DH485. The connectors are similar, but that's about it.

oh ok, in the driver setup there were no options for that. The cable I'm using plugs into the ethernet Port, but shows to use this driver:
1784-KT/Ktx(D)/PKTX(D)/PCMK for DH+/DH-485 devices, then i set device to PCMK and baud rate to 57.6k. also tried 230.4K which is what it was originally to communicate to the program.

Should I just stick to the RS232 port?

there is no other port for me to plug into. Thats where the Rockwell manual showed to plug it into as well. I tried using the driver as dh485 first and it still wouldnt connect.

A SLC5/05 has a Ethernet port ( the RJ45) and a serial port.

Your 1784-PCMK card does not communicate with an Ethernet port. It's for DH+ and DH485 protocol. Hopefully you haven't damaged anything.

Try connecting to the serial port with a null-modem cable using the DF1 driver.
If you have the offline file ( program) check its port configuration and try to connect to the Ethernet port using a patch cord with switch, crossover if direct, you will need to set-up your PC's Ethernet port.

If all else fails and you are sure the program is gone then you might want to clear the memory by pulling the battery and shorting VBB to GRN see pdf below.

Last edited:
The PLC has an assigned Ethernet address already. The light on the processor shows its reading it. Also in the program channel 1 is set to it and is the right address. I have a null modem cable im connecting to the serial port. It is a DH485 based network. Looking at everything again, I do not believe that the whole program is wiped out because on the PanelView550 it shows the graphic of the program, but where the control "buttons" usually are reads "error- cannot find node."

my predecessor left instructions for communication a while back using 1784- PCM/B cable and PCMK card:

1. Connect comm. cable to PC at PCMK 2. Connect other end into external RS232c comm. port. 3. Rslinx, "configure drivers"
4. 1784-KT/Ktx(D)/PKTX(D)/PCMK for DH+/DH-485 devices, DH485, 230.4K

The only problem is the only 232 port I can find is a DB9 and the end of the cable is RJ45. This is why I'm confused on what this cable is for.

The PanelView cannot find the node, which means that it isn't communicating with the SLC. This is what would happen if the SLC lost its marbles (including the channel config.), or if the comm. port is not functioning or incorrectly connected.

How is the Panelview connected? Ethernet or DH485? What is the entire part number of the PanelView?

Can you zip and post a copy of the SLC program? That would help greatly in determining what you need to communicate. Those instructions left by your predecessor must be mistaken. DH485 has two possible baud rates, 9600 (rarely used) and 19.2k. I would forget those instructions for now.

Now, the serial port (DB9 Channel 0) on your SLC can be configured for DH485, ASCII, or DF1. If it's set up for DH485, then you might be able to use your PCMCIA card to talk to it, but not directly (through a NET-AIC interface). If the SLC is defaulted by removing the EEPROM and battery and by shorting VBB to GND for a few seconds, the serial port settings should go back to DF1 and the program will be wiped out of it.

So, if you can post the SLC program (zip it first), we can open it and look at the channel config and more easily help you.

Last edited: