New Laptops and serial ports

On the Dell Latitude E-series one can get a legacy extender that clips on the dock connector. On this legacy extender is a DB-9 serial port, along with PS/2 and parallel ports.

Last time I checked on the Dell page they still had a rough service edition of the D630, which should have a serial port on it.

This thread should be a sticky! Same topic seems to come up every 6 months.

I heard good thing on some of the USB and PCMCIA adaptor but none seems to work with AB PIC box, for example. Does the AB USB converter works with PIC?

I can't find the D-series of Dell Latitude anymore on Dell's website.

Look for dell E5500.
It come with REAL RS232 port and modem.
I have E6500 and I got the Legacy docking.
It have RS232 port but it not work with AB PIC.even it recognize as Com 1.

We are using some of the Panasonic Tough Books in our plant in our shipping dept. They have serial ports, are very rugged, can take a lot of bad enviroment. That is if you don't mide looks. We are hoping our next maint. laptop for the floor is one of the Tough Books.

What I don't understand is why the plc vendors do not create patches so that USB to serial converters will work.
PLC manufacturers are well behind the times, it's only recently that they have incorporated ethernet (and some USB) ports on plc's no they are too greedy expecting you to pay megabucks for ethernet cards, usb or pcmcia to 232/485 converters with drivers that only work with their hardware.
At least some like Mitsi etc. are now supplying plc processors with ethernet & usb as well as 232.
One thing I don't understand is why some HMI's have usb ports but you can't use them to program the damm thing.
anyway I just purchased a dell dual core with 232 & pcmcia slot so ok for a few years yet.

What I don't understand is why the plc vendors do not create patches so that USB to serial converters will work.
PLC manufacturers are well behind the times, it's only recently that they have incorporated ethernet (and some USB) ports on plc's no they are too greedy expecting you to pay megabucks for ethernet cards, usb or pcmcia to 232/485 converters with drivers that only work with their hardware.
At least some like Mitsi etc. are now supplying plc processors with ethernet & usb as well as 232.
One thing I don't understand is why some HMI's have usb ports but you can't use them to program the damm thing.
anyway I just purchased a dell dual core with 232 & pcmcia slot so ok for a few years yet.

The big problem is more for maintenance/service work, where you are dealing with older PLC, Digital Governors, etc, which require a proper serial port.

Fortunately our IT deptartment allows us engineers to specify what we need, but even that does not always work, as we found with the disappearance of 3.5" floppy drive.
I was the only one to spot this and specify a floppy drive as well as CD-RW drive for my recent Dell Precision M65, which meant that I was in great demand from my collegues, who needed older software installing on their new laptops.

n_lev,
Check out the Panasonic Toughbook line of machines (CF-52). 15.4" screen,RS-232 port, PC Card slot type II. More expensive ($1,700 to $2,200)than most. I've used one for a year now. Worth the extra money IMHO. CDW has a one week wait to get one it looks like.
BD

Same here. And they are tough!

I use a Panasonic CF-52(Tough Book)with a real RS232 Serial port. Rugged nice handle for portability good spec. Bit pricey though.
Worthy investment without it I would have problems as the virtual port that is created with a USB to serial is unavailable for old Siemens S5,barcode, toshiba EX40 etc software that we unfortunately still have to maintain.
I am updating the plant but it's going to take a while.

Last edited:
We are using some of the Panasonic Tough Books in our plant in our shipping dept. They have serial ports, are very rugged, can take a lot of bad enviroment. That is if you don't mide looks. We are hoping our next maint. laptop for the floor is one of the Tough Books.

Tough books are all we use. Every new PLC project has one spec'ed in our spares package. Never had a problem with one. We spec the semi-rugged model with the daylight readable screens since we do a lot of field work.