Newbie MD29 Connect Problem Control Techniques Mentor Drives

Darylbnet

Hi all, Not the way I would like to splash the board, but we are in need of some simple assistance...
I have an MD29 card on our Master Drive unit a M350R-14 ICD 168HP using Soft Ver. 050500 from Control Techniques...
We need to re-program that MD29 card with our Bin file, but our problem is no matter how we try to connect the PC or Laptop DB-9 direct connection will not communicate with the Card or Drive...
We are using DPL ToolKit, to reload the drive, but it is stuck in AutoLoad mode, and will not allow for selection of Com ports...
I have the info pulled for Mentor MD29 Menu 14 of the Drive if that helps?
All paper work here suggests it was setup for RS232, connecting to PL1 of the MD29...
ANY Help or pointers in the right direction would be greatly appreciated... Thanks... D...o_O

MD29 Card M350 Mentor Drive HELP?

I know this stuff is obsolete, but does anyone have any input as to where to start on this problem ? Tks. D... o_O

Ohh took ages to find a VM with this stuff on it - Designed for Win 95 updated to Win XP No service packs

Parameter #14.11 MUST = 0 (If 1 Disables Toolkit Comms)
#14.17 = 0

What version of DPL Toolkit are you using?
By default, the Toolkit is configured to use COM1 (communications port 1) on the PC to talk to the MD29/UD70. If you wish to alter this, choose the Project menu, then choose Configure then COM PORT from the sub-menu. Finally, choose the COM port you wish to use.

I have done a MD29 once - UD70 (AC motor) many times. Same CPU etc just a different form factor to suit the AC Drive

The RS 232 port is a 9 Pin Female - Pinout is:
PIN 2 is RxD
PIN 3 is TxD
PIN 5 0V

I cannot remember what cable to use - I think that it is a straight through

Note: if the MD29 has lost everything then you must download the .SYS file before the .bin

Last edited:
Cheers mate, thanks for the info, Yes the manual says a straight thru, but we have tried both, for the 2,3,5 pins...
I will have to get back upstairs to get the DPL version?
Iffn ya will be online a few ??? ...

Ok, we can't find any version # for this DPL Kit, I know it is over 10 years old, that's a lot of dust, I know...
Checked those para.#s and they were correct,
14.11 = 0
14.17 = 0
We are connecting the Laptop DB9 port with a Direct cable to the SK2 (RS232) port of the MD-29 card...
Opening the DPL Kit, shows ( No Drive ) in the lower left corner...
We have the Bin file ready to load, and can open it in the Read only window...

All other RS232 uses, normally use a cross cable, 2-3, 3-2, 55...
But even that setup will not communicate...
We have a controls tech that configures these drives looking into it, but even he admits these units are so obsolete, they don't deal with them enough to remember how to program them...

Check to make sure the COM port you're using is actually available. Assuming the DB9 port is COM1, make sure the software is trying to communicate over COM1.

If you use that computer to run RSLogix, make sure RSLinx doesn't launch automatically when you boot the computer or make sure you stop RSLinx when you don't need it.

These suggestions are not based on any knowledge of the software for your drive, just some "gotchas" I've experienced with serial communications over the years.

Thanks Steve for the tip, Checked and no RSLogix on the laptop, but there is Simatic Net Service and a Simatic Workshop opened at startup, I have shut those down, and still no joy...

This old version of DPL Toolkit has no properties area, for setup...
It has a drop down menu to configure the Comms port, but the Autoload setting is checked and will not allow you to change the individual ports...
??? Errrr.

Last edited:
D,

Can you look in the following and use the dos download?

Are you using a DOS Com Port or a USB Com port?

MD29.png

Dos utils.png

Last edited:
Check to make sure the COM port you're using is actually available. Assuming the DB9 port is COM1, make sure the software is trying to communicate over COM1.

If you use that computer to run RSLogix, make sure RSLinx doesn't launch automatically when you boot the computer or make sure you stop RSLinx when you don't need it.

These suggestions are not based on any knowledge of the software for your drive, just some "gotchas" I've experienced with serial communications over the years.

Agreed - One way to test if the Com Port is available Open a Hyperterminal Session and try to use COM1 - If Hyperterminal can open it then the port is available, When you close hyperterminal it releases the port correctly

Because this is old software it uses a MD29GUI.ini File in the Windows directory

In there you can change the COM port and disable autoload
[MD29]
AutoLoadPrint=0
AutoLoadWatch=0
BaudRateCode=1
ComPort=1
Autoload=0

Looking at the old BIN files if they compiled with the embed source option then you can extract the source code from the bin file and then we can use another version of dpltoolkit (Open the Bin file in notepad and scroll to the end you are looking for $title, $Version $drive etc)

Last edited:
THANKS Micheal, for all the input, sorry I been on the road traveling...
Made it up to Houston here at Control Concepts, to dig into this problem...

Ahh... Success !!! We were able to get two spare cards loaded with the Awesome support of Control Concepts of Houston Tx...
Lessons learned,
1. Ensure nobs install wiring in connectors properly and secured...
2. Compatibility of the soft versions in the MD29 vs the DPL toolkit version
( we had old version 2.3 in the MD29 which would not communicate with DPL Kit 3.02 )
( the New WinFlash 3.70 was able to force communicate with the units )
3. Ensure that the setting for MD29 options in the Mentor unit are correct for comms...
( Section 14.11 thru 14.17 ... )
4. Connection is for SK2 on the MD29 card ( Rs232 port ) Direct 2-2, 3-3, 5-5...
5. LED (red) on the card needs to be flashing to indicate processing...
( on card we tested had a steady (red) LED on, and would not communicate )
6. Be wary of POS laptops purchased from EBAY...
7. These versions of WinFlash and DPL Toolkits work best with Win98 2000 or XP,
not VISTA or above...
THANKS Romano, Michael, and Steve for your valued input in pumping new life into
these obsolete units... D...