Red Lion G310C Extract

gleon

I'm trying to Extract the database from a Red Lion G310C HMI, connected to a FX3U Mitsubishi PLC. It has the Support UpLoad enabled. I tried USB (it says starting firmware and then it fails:ERROR no reply from remote device)even though I installed the USB driver from Crimson and RS-232 Port, but it didn't work. I'm using the Ethernet port, with a regular computer network cable. I know the Ethernet port configuration:
Port Mode: Manual Configuration
IP Address: 10.0.0.100, Network Mask: 255.0.0.0, Gateway:0.0.0.0
IP Routing: Disabled
Physical Layer: Enable Full Duplex, Enable High Speed (both checked)
Maximum Segment Size. For Send:1280, For Receive: 1280
Remote Update. IP Download: Enabled, Port Number: 789
My computer has the following IP Address: 10.0.0.101, Network Mask:255.0.0.0

Do I have to use a crossover cable? Any clue why it keeps saying that it can't open the port?

Not the USB Driver for the RS232, but the USB driver as indicated in the PDF that you refer. I meant that I tried the RS-232 too but I didn't work either. I'll try to ping the G3, but I didn't see any activity in the network LEDs in the PC or the G3. I tried form the Link/Options: COM1, USB, and TCP/IP with 10.0.0.100 and TCP 789. Thanks anyway.

Did you enter the panels Ip address in the Link options tab with TCP/IP selected?

Cable wise i use a standard patch lead, but my dell laptop auto configures - have you tried a crossover cable?

Can you list what cables you have tried and what ports they were connected to?

When you plug the G3 into your usb port on your pc ( USBonPC to USBonG3) do you get a ding noise as windows finds the G3 ?

The first time you plugged in did windows come up with a found new hardware box ? It then install the driver if you point it to the right place and then another found new hardware box (yes thats 2) should pop up ?

G3usb.jpg

Is the G3HMI in device manager under USB Controllers ?

And yes you need a crossover cable for straight laptop/pc to G3.

Last edited:
I got a crossover cable and finally I was able to extract the database but I got the message "Not all items were loaded from the database". I don't know if that's a problem.
I'm not happy with the USB, because in the Device Manager I see the G3 HMI in the Universal Serial bus controllers tree, but when I try to extract the database with USB I get a "no reply from the USB device" or something like that. At least I know I can use Ethernet with the crossover but it woulded be nice to use the USB.

I'm using Crimson 2.0 Release Build 347
Using Build 537 of g310.bin
I already tried uninstalling and reinstalling usb but it did the same. I restarted my computer several times too.

Build 347 is fairly old now (Build 2.0.0.347 (06/07/07))

Latest is 439B (Build 2.0.0.439B(07/18/08))

In C2 (whilst online)click Help > Check for updates

It should download the latest C2 this may be why you are having problems. The database error when you extract is probably because the app in the G3 was downloaded with a newer C2 build.

When its downloaded you get three choices on install, its the one in the middle (second one down (repair from memory)) then reboot and run c2 again and try usb / and or ethernet.

This:

"Build 347 is fairly old now (Build 2.0.0.347 (06/07/07))

Latest is 439B (Build 2.0.0.439B(07/18/08))"

Is why you are getting the message. It would appear that the unit was last downloaded to using a newer build of Crimson 2 than what you have installed.

Upgrading to the latest build should eliminate that message.

Regards,
Dan

TRYING TO EXTRACT:
Now I got the Build 439B and it extracts thru Ethernet fine but still the same problem with the USB. I took a look at the Device Manager and it shows the G3 HMI but it says that "This device cannot start. (Code 10)". I don't know why is that.
Using RS-232 (COM1) programming port it starts getting the blocks and suddenly it says something about the checksum (no reply) and stops.
TRYING TO UPDATE/SEND:
Now I tried to update or send the database thru Ethernet and it says that I need a CompactFlash. I inserted a CompactFlash and format it. Now every time it asks to format it (I already did) and still I cannot send the database.
I tried using USB but because of the above mentioned I doesn't work either.
Basically I have no way to change the HMI application.
Any help will be welcome.

Are you using a laptop? If so, try running it on battery power, then try USB or 232.

As far as the compact flash is concerned, it sounds like the card is not compatible with us. The only brands that we know work are Sandisk and Simpletech, and they need to be 2GB or less.

It is telling you that you need the card because it is running an older version than 439B, so the firmware needs to be upgraded, and that cannot be done via Ethernet without the CF card.

Regards,
Dan

DanYost said:
Are you using a laptop? If so, try running it on battery power, then try USB or 232.
Dan - Why is this ?

DanYost said:
As far as the compact flash is concerned, it sounds like the card is not compatible with us. The only brands that we know work are Sandisk and Simpletech, and they need to be 2GB or less.
And not the high speed ones either as they dont work, the cheap standard sandisk ones i found work fine.

Dan - why cant you get the G3 to work with all CF's ? The latest PV1500+ seem to read any CF i throw in them high speed or not and most makes i have tried ?