Red Lion Graphite Series?

I wish they had a strain guage input card like the dsp. And I never noticed that the pod module had an autotune function until now. That would sure beat manually tuning the pid loops in rslogix.

Could use one right now if it had a strain gauge module. Any idea when this will be added?

The optional I/O might come in handy too. Perfect when you need a few more analogs than the PLC supports. I could also see using it for the I/O that is local to the HMI, like PBs, switches, and status lights. Less cabling from the PLC to the HMI... (y)
-Eric
Can you theoretically dump the PLC altogether?

Depends on what you are trying to do. I can think of several applications where it would work. From what I read so far what this will be able to do well is monitoring. I have a job coming up where I need independent verification for a roaster that this will work well for.

Need a thermocouple card to monitor my heating zones and a I/O card for a speed prox to monitor conveyor speed. Since you already have web server and event logging data management will be a breeze.

Depending on the application, yes. On one small machine, I used a Click solely as remote I/O for a G304K2. There was only an END instruction in the Click so it would go to RUN mode. The entire program (albeit small) ran on the G3. With these new modules, I could have eliminated the Click.

I doubt I would skip the PLC on anything more than very low I/O count machines though. In many cases, the HMI ends up in a place where running ALL the I/O to the back of it would be silly. EZ Automation has had this arrangement for years, but I have never seen it as useful (plus I don't like their HMIs anyway). They're really just a PLC 'glued' to the back of an HMI. With Red Lion, I get my favorite HMI, PLUS the added capability to add local I/O if needed. Win,win... :)

🍻

-Eric

padees, We are aware of the touch screen issue and we are working to get a resolution. I will keep you guys posted

Thanks Jeremy!

I think the new rig's will be really sweet!!! I know I am buying one for my WE feed training rig.

It's not like we don't deal with broken software on a regular basis tho ;)

Installed CCW 4.0 with RSLinx 3.60 for messing with the PF525 Drives. Worked really sweet after install and I said, they finally got something right! Not to be true tho. RS"Jinx" is broken after getting home and firing up the laptop. Email shot out to our A-B guy. I'm almost thinking that a while back he said you don't want one of the versions, and 3.60 is ringing a bell for some reason.

Anyway, cool on the new rig's!!!

The PID and Universal Analog modules for the Graphite Display will be a great way to add those to 'basic' micro style PLCs. Or if the project needs just one or two analog or PID.

http://www.redlion.net/Products/Hum...ies/GraphitePanels/GraphiteModules/GMPID.html

http://www.redlion.net/Products/Hum...es/GraphitePanels/GraphiteModules/GMUIN4.html

Some points of interest:
** The connection for the I/O module is USB but proprietary hardware.
** They do plan to add a cable to panel mount the I/O in the future.
** SD Card is currently restricted to 2 Gig. (Need to change Crimson for more)

Last edited:
Looking at the PID module I see in Crimson that it supports a 30 segment profile. I could really use that feature in an upcoming vacuum furnace project. The online documentation is a little skinny, but most of the things are self explanatory. What is the Segment Mode?

Looking at the PID module I see in Crimson that it supports a 30 segment profile. I could really use that feature in an upcoming vacuum furnace project. The online documentation is a little skinny, but most of the things are self explanatory. What is the Segment Mode?

Let me recommend that you look into the Honeywell HC900 for Vacuum Furnace Control.

So I have one of the new red lion graphite panels and I must say that the touch mechanism is pretty funky. Its nearly impossible to use the keypad to type anything. 1 out of 5 touches may actually get the keypad to trigger. Even using a stylus barely improves this shortcoming. Is anyone else experiencing this problem?

So I have one of the new red lion graphite panels and I must say that the touch mechanism is pretty funky. Its nearly impossible to use the keypad to type anything. 1 out of 5 touches may actually get the keypad to trigger. Even using a stylus barely improves this shortcoming. Is anyone else experiencing this problem?

What size graphite panel do you have? Do you know the history of it? Meaning was it purchased or is it a salesmans demo unit? What version of C3 are you running?

What size graphite panel do you have? Do you know the history of it? Meaning was it purchased or is it a salesmans demo unit? What version of C3 are you running?

7" new purchase C3 version is gold build 573.002

looks like the unit serial number is 0005E40277C1

Go to display pages and in the resource pane open the System Primitives. One of the primitives is Touch Calibration. Place this on the display and load the program into the HMI. When you access this page you will be prompted with instructions.