SLC 500 password protect anymodifications??

spence144db

This is my first post on here, but I have been poking around here for a while now. I have a question that I was not able to find by using google or any other search function. At my new employer we are currently trying to show our maintenance guys how to use RSLogix in the most basic forum to help them troubleshoot problems. They are new at this though and I do now want them to get to wild with anything

Q: Can I set the software to let them get online and view the ladder logic in real time to troubleshoot, but make it so that they have to have a password from myself or the supervisor in order to make any edits to the program?

cheers 🍻 Spence

The simplest thing to do is to put the keyswitch in RUN mode. This will prevent online editing. If you can't trust them, then there are further steps that can be taken, but most of them preclude them from seeing ladder logic which defeats your main purpose.

See picture and pdf below for info on RSLADDER500 which will allow viewing but cannot make any changes. Contact your local AB rep.

RSLADDER500.png

Attachments

• rsladder_td.pdf
    842 KB · Views: 28
I would use the key switch method but I am working with some OLD as hell units like SLC 5/01, SCL 5/02 1747-L20B (stand alone unit with 8 out and 12 in, no backplain all-in-one self contained unit) none of them have a key switch on them at all. Since those older units can not be programed online or live it all have to be modified and then uploaded to the processor. Does anyone know of a way that I can password protect the write of a file and leave the read of that same file non password protected?

Can you do online edits with those old units? I thought those had to be offline to do edits.

Anything under a SLC5/03 can not do online editing. 5/03 and up can....thats why I was looking to find way to allow the maint guys to open up all the files and view them, but not allow them to make any changes to the file. Therefore if they can not change the file they cant upload anything different to the PLC

Not to be pedantic, and slightly off topic, but with the terminology AB uses, you DOWNload from the computer to the PLC and UPload from the PLC to the computer.

make backups of all the files and allow the guys to go online. the only changes that could be made would require them to go offline and download. The chances of them making a change is small.