SLC 500 Password

stupidav,

maybe there is a way without hiring an expert to come onsite.

You can make a dummy program, download it, go online.
Then select the function Comms > Eprom.. > Load from EPROM.
I am thinking that there is a chance it will work.
It is possible that the program will load, whereafter you will prompted for the password, in that case you have succeeded in loading the program.
But it is also possible that you will be prompted for the password before loading the Eprom, in that case you are stuck.

You would have to clear the processor to download the dummy file...if you cleared the processor the EEPROM could be uploaded from....deal is if the EEPROM is bad then you dont have any program.

I believe dav has found his solution.

Jesper
Just to let you know i did find a workaround for this issue that unfortunatly can not be posted. The original issue that the system had was that the OEM did not set the processor up to load from Eprom at any time. This means that the Eprom was pretty much useless with out the OEM. Basically some one would have to go online with the unit inorder to get it to load from the Eprom, which the Eprom requires the same password.

this gets way off topic and strays into serious flame war territory, so be be warned.

if i buy a car, no one tells me (other than common sense) not to rip out all the OEM equipment and dump a bunch of aftermarket parts into it. what's the difference with computers?

why can't i load a PLC program from EPROM that a vendor locked out? especially if i already paid them and their service is awful. I mean, i paid them right? Why do I need to pay them again to come out and re-load it for me (obviously hypothetical, since i'm not in this situation) Especially if they're are a bad vendor that just doesn't care.

But on the same token, if I rip off their code and build my own machine, i'd hope that my *** would be sued and sent to jail.

I understand wanting to protect your work, but capitilizing on it failing is beyond me.

There is a way to get the password, but ethics will not let me divulge it, during a project to rip out some old systems & replace with new I came across a simular problem, however the one plc that was to remain in use on this site had been password protected by their own engineer whom had recently left, so the ethics did not apply & as we needed to make some modifications I promptly gained access & took the password out. I have been writing plc software for more than 20 years & have never "locked" any of the code I have produced, however this is mainly due to the fact that the code was written specifically for the client & as they paid for it, it rightly belongs to them & I do sympathise with a machine builder who builds standard machines where the development costs are spread across the sales & support of those machines.
But as for the companies or individuals whom get paid to produce one offs (as a lot of process plant is)by the customer surely then if they have paid for the software to be written, they should retain ownership. I have come across this & the usual excuses are "there is some complicated code in there & your engineers are not good enough to make modifications", "if your maintenance guys mess it up it will cost you more to call us out to put it right". quite frankly it is a way of trying to ensure that they & only they can extract more money out of you.
But personally I don't think it works, I know of a number of companies that will willingly pay for someone like me to dump the stuff that is full of bugs & re-write it.