Valid Siemens S300 safety plc use ?

XC204

My boss insists that we use a Siemans 300 series Safety plc for the application of counting and timing pulses at 15 hz 50ms width using 317F-2 CPU SM326 safety input and output modules (DI24xDC24 and DO10xDC24 ) modules we would set a rate and check for pulses that are at a greater rate or intigrate the pulses and drop the outputs if we get too many pulses per given time period. We are new to Siemens had one week class in S7 prog nothing on the safety plc's We use AB SL500's and a few PLC Directs in other proj.
Thanks

My boss insists that we use a Siemans 300 series Safety plc for the application of counting and timing pulses at 15 hz 50ms width using 317F-2 CPU SM326 safety input and output modules (DI24xDC24 and DO10xDC24 ) modules we would set a rate and check for pulses that are at a greater rate or intigrate the pulses and drop the outputs if we get too many pulses per given time period. We are new to Siemens had one week class in S7 prog nothing on the safety plc's We use AB SL500's and a few PLC Directs in other proj.
Thanks
If you use a safety CPU and modules you should be covered.
Not sure what the pulse deal is but that's yours.
Keep in mind that even if you get STEP7 software (I recommend PRO) you will need an add-on package to program safety CPUs.
"S7 Distributed Safety".
And it can be integrated nicely to your Step7.
You'll need WinCC Flex if you intend to do HMI work.
FLEX is the key word here since you can buy the full blown WinCC package that'll do softPLCs and such.
The learning curve can be an issue, especially if you keep "thinking" the AB way.
Read the manuals and practice and you'll be just fine.
EDIT: If by pulses you mean monitoring the safety modules, you don't have to.
They come with build in diagnostics and monitoring tools, the safety CPU takes care of hardware failures and such.

Last edited:
We do have the S7 distributed safety program and have written the Rate code after many problems setting up the program and all the associated stuff to use the safety blocks we are using 1oo1 on the input module with a separate supply for the pulse source.Just wondered if this kind of thing is too fast for the module meant for machine guards. We can't seem to find where to look at the scan times, we see where to set max scan time but can't find where to see actual scan time.
Thanks

Are you running the safety program in a timed interrupt ? - that way you know how often the program runs.

Ive had a lot of experience with Siemens Safety if you want any detailed questions answered just PM me.

The scan time of each input output channel can be set at the hardware config of the actual IO card, i think the default is 30ms.

Bear in mind the program needs to be recompiled when you make a change. When the program is compiled it will generate a control DB for each IO card.

The is a 'bit' in the db that you will need to use to reset the card when it faults an input. If you want an example program i can send you one.

Good luck