SLC 500 No connection?

n8dc

Got this used screw machine with a slc 500 in it and i cant connect to it with my computer? Its a slc 05/4 we took the numbers and bought a programming cable for that and the panel view 600 thats in the machine also. I cant connect to that either but first things first. The DH+ led is flashing on the 05/4? I need to connect with a serial cable? Any ideas. yes im sure im using the right driver for serial connect. Id appreciate any help here..
TIA
Dave

You say serial cable so I assume your using channel 0 (bootm channel 9 pin "D"). Does this have the panelview lead plugged into it? If not then the channel should be running DF1 driver as default, then you should be able to use "auto detect" within RSLinx for the DF1. Since the DH+ LED is flashing I assume this channel is not in use as flashing means no nodes detected. This means the PV is using channel 0 and therefore the port has been changed from DF1. Do you have the product code off of the panelview as this will determine the driver required in channel 0 to talk to the PV and hence the driver required on your laptop. Hope this helps. If the code on the PV ends in C2,C3,C5,C9 it is a DH-485 protocol and requires PIC driver in RSLinx even though serial cable is being used.

Last edited:
SCUBA NooB said:
You say serial cable so I assume your using channel 0 (bootm channel 9 pin "D"). Does this have the panelview lead plugged into it? If not then the channel should be running DF1 driver as default, then you should be able to use "auto detect" within RSLinx for the DF1. Since the DH+ LED is flashing I assume this channel is not in use as flashing means no nodes detected. This means the PV is using channel 0 and therefore the port has been changed from DF1. Do you have the product code off of the panelview as this will determine the driver required in channel 0 to talk to the PV and hence the driver required on your laptop. Hope this helps.

Yes 9 pin connector and i did the auto detect and it didnt find anything? And yes the PV is hooked there also . Ill try to get the product code off the PV here in a bit.
Dave

If you are trying to connect to the DH+ port CH. 1, you will need a DH+ card in you r PC, with the appropriate cable. For a laptop, this would be a 1784-PCMK card with a 1784-PCM5 cable (this has a dongle on one end for the card and a DB9 on the other end) ans a 1784-CP7 adapter (DB9 to 8-pin mini-din). With this you would use the KT driver in RSLinx, configured for a device type PCMK. If you are trying to connect serially via the CH. 0 RS-232 port, you need a 1747-CP3 (or a standard null-modem cable). This port can be configured for either RS-232 DF1 or DH-485. For DF1, use the DF1 driver in RSLinx; for DH-485 use the 1747-PIC/AIC+ driver in RSLinx. You have a red DH+ LED on the CPU which is not normal. How is the PanelView 600 connected to the SLC (serial or DH+)? If it is connected to the serial port and you want to connect to the SLC over the serial port, post the full Catalog Number of the PV600; that will tell us if it is a DF1 or DH-485 device, which would help determine which serial driver you need to connect to the SLC.

Do you have a real serial port or a USB to serial adaptor?

If your using the USB then the PIC Driver won't work and you will need a 1747-UIC adapter.

Some real serial ports work with the PIC driver and some don't

That panelview is DH-485 over a physical RS-232 connection, so you won't need a PIC or UIC, just a null-modem serial cable. You will need to stop/delete any serial drivers that are configured in RSLinx before you configure the 1747-PIC/AIC+ driver. If our RSLinx is running as a service, you will have to shut it down and configure it to run as an application to get the 1747-PIC/AIC+ driver to configure.

Ya got that figured out and have the driver installed.. Im going out to the screwmachine dept in a while and try connecting again..
Dave

I had a similar problem with connecting to a 5/04. The auto config would pick the SLC CH0 Micro. I had to set it to the 1784/1747 line above it and then the connection thru the db9 worked. That was DF1 Rs232 driver. I could NEVER get the little round pin cable to function that AB sold them and said it was the best way to connect. It would be nice as the db9 has an HMI plugged in. I basically set each driver and set each type in config until I got in. Then I wrote down every setting. Earlier the same morning, I connected to a micrologix with out issue.

Well thats where I am right now and ill try it tomorrow. I did get the program from the panel view and know how to do that now but I still cant communicate with the slc 500 and i too can connect with a micrologix 1200 with no issues??? Im taking a break and ill try again tomorrow. Its not a need to do this minute thing but we would like a backup of the program as we have none now..
Dave

Ok ill update here so no one gets ****ed.. Im using the 1747-cp3 cable to try and connect to the slc 500 It still wont connect.
Dave