Motion axis motor info missing.......

bakerct

So quick overview. We have several motion axis throughout a system. All are on Ultra 3000 drives using N-3412-2-H motors....that's the catalog number. My issue is for some reason or another, the catalog number is being deleted. This only happens when a PM has been done to the machine and a lockout/power cycle of the cabinet has been performed. When the machine is started back up, there is an axis that won't move but just twitch. When the properties is looked at for that axis, we find the catalog number is missing....Why and How?

Could the motion control possibly see something corrupt and dump the motor number?

I know control logix will dump its running program if it see's that its RAM is corrupt so I'm wondering if it's the same thing?

Thanks for all the help.

So quick overview. We have several motion axis throughout a system. All are on Ultra 3000 drives using N-3412-2-H motors....that's the catalog number. My issue is for some reason or another, the catalog number is being deleted. This only happens when a PM has been done to the machine and a lockout/power cycle of the cabinet has been performed. When the machine is started back up, there is an axis that won't move but just twitch. When the properties is looked at for that axis, we find the catalog number is missing....Why and How?

Could the motion control possibly see something corrupt and dump the motor number?

I know control logix will dump its running program if it see's that its RAM is corrupt so I'm wondering if it's the same thing?

Thanks for all the help.

Does the fault follow a drive swap ? ie swap two identical drives
Does the fault follow a motor swap?

It is possible that nothing is wrong with the motor or drive and the fault is the encoder cable with a broken wire

How long has the installation been operational? months or years?

Last edited:
no faults, and the same thing has happened to several other machines in the plant. Equipment has been here for 5 years or more. These are piece cutting saws. All drives are ready to run, the axis in question just stops. Then when an operator tries to restart the drive. It faults, and the motor just twitches for a moment. It is however only happening to a specific axis on different saws.

I have tried to see if it might be drive/motor related but new drives and motors do the same thing eventually. This isn't happening on a consistent basis. It might happen on 1 machine 1 month and then again a month or so later on a different.

I'm wondering how a motor number can just be deleted from a database in the motion axis properties.