Site Shutdown

JoeKroc

Hello all,

due to Covid-19, our site is facing the possibility of shutdown. I run a few PLC systems (controlllogix, compaclogix). Any shutdown would power down the whole factory. I plan on making program backups of the PLC but what other steps can I take to mitigate any startup risk? Is there any other type of a system backup that I would/should make? Can anyone recommend any other items?

thank you

I think you should consider replacing the batteries in all the equipment that has them
also copy the backup programs to a secure location - not on your computer just in case it fails when you need it to reload the programs

+1 what GaryS said, make sure you back up... it happened to me in the late 90's we had what my friend/co-worker called the "the summer of nothing" and one little machine was missed but it took a couple days to rewrite the program and since it was part of our process heat it delayed the start up

I have some batteries if you need them https://www.plccable.com/plc-cpu-batteries/

Just in case you didn't mean it, my PLC program backups would be the ones you upload from the PLCs, not the ones on your computer.
Don't forget about the HMIs, neither.

I don't want to be to negative, but I'd gather all the information available for all the machines, including electrical drawings, manuals, etc., and save it on a safe place. It won't hurt to have all your info organized and saved.You never know when the machines will be up and running again, and this can be of great help when things "normalized" back.

Adding to what has already been said,
when you upload the program from the plc to the pc, make sure the machine is stopped, at home position, in manual, and e-stop pushed.
this way, you get the condition of the machine in s safe position if you have to put the program back into the plc later.

always remember, the plc program is the master - its the working copy. bubba likes to change timers and counters and not tell anyone.

as an additional safety, I have my AB software set to keep 10+ copies of backups. if something doesn't work correctly, I can compare the program against the backups to see what was changed. that has saved my six several times.

james

Welcome to the forum, JoeKroc! Just in case any of your Logix controllers are of the 1756-L5x vintage, please note that the battery life is EXTREMELY short - like ~30 days, IIRC. In circumstances such as this, it might be beneficial if you could leave the PLCs powered up while the equipment control power is off.

I agree with Ron, Keep CPU's powered up & turn other equipment off, Older PLC's would keep backup for a long time but the later processors have large memory & definitely consume more power from battery in case of power down.
Just remember to ensure that data is backed up & this might include recipes in HMI's. although these are not prone to loss of data like battery backed PLC Ram.

I forgot to say that you can store the PLC program on the PLC SD card, if you have one installed, and set the PLC to load from the card should the program is lost or corrupted on the PLC.

As stated already. Keep it Simple. Leave the plc supplies on. The cost is minimal compared to missing one on start up day and having to re-write.

If you aren't already planing on it, I would do a controlled shut down of your PLC systems and then a controlled start up after things go back to normal (as apposed to simply shutting the power off and turning it back on).

Run a backup on your database, if you're using one. My only database experience is with MySQL and it is quite easy to do. I imagine other databases provide backup ability too.

Make a list of all power supplies (particularly the rack mounted ones) and buy spares as at least one will fail.

If you have Hirschmann network switches (the cheap unmanaged ones) buy a few spares too as at least one channel is going to die when you power it up.