EtherCAT Hiwin E1 Servodrive motion control

Dimi969

Lifetime Supporting Member
Hi there!
Anyone any idea what PLC can I use as master to control a slave E1 Hiwin servo drive? There are lots of IPC's but I would like a proper PLC who supports 3rd party vendors Hiwin for instance and having etherCAT comms.
Thank you

What do you mean by "proper PLC"?
If the Hiwin drive has an EtherCAT device description, it most certainly can be incorporated as an EtherCAT device on e.g. a Beckhoff IPC or an Embedded CX-series.

Hi CommissioningMan, thank you for reply
I meant an alternative ''off the shelf'' PLC thinking someone could have used before in a similar situation as, unfortunately, Beckhoff and Trio let me down waiting for a solution for ages :(
By the way, I just found that Hitachi EHV+ could be a solution but looks like if the connected slave devices are drives the EtherCAT cycle of the CPU is not fast enough, cyclic synchronous mode may not work in full performance due to the CPU speed, so more investigations required on this one...
Thanks

I don't know what the rest of your project is, but I'm guessing there's is more to it than just connecting a drive to an EtherCAT master, if Beckhoff takes a long time getting back to you.
An embedded controller like the CX5120 will have plenty of power controlling a single servo.

But the basic part is importing the ESI file (EtherCAT Slave Information) to your system and insert it in the hardware configuration. Here I'm using TwinCAT 2 and the ESI file for the D1-N since I can't find any files for E1.

E-cat-device.png

Then you'll have a drive with Tx/Rx PDO area that you can control the drive with. If your are using an NC license you can import it as an axis, otherwise you will have to roll your own control of the process data.

E-cat-device_2.png

If you haven't used Beckhoff before, it will be a bumpy ride starting out with motion control and third party drives.

Last edited:
Codesys is your friend here. I use Beijer X2 Control for point-to-point servo and Beijer X2ProMotion for synch'd. Both are EtherCAT masters (plently of other buses supported, too). Real PLC, plenty of horsepower, terrific support.
Programming tool (full IEC61131-3) is free/zip/nada.

Just had a look at manual (you can tell we're in lockdown). It supports the cyclic synchronous modes AND the profile modes, so if you don't need synch'd motion (and you probably won't with 1 axis) then the Beijer X2 Control will eat it.
The beauty if CiA402 is all drives (broadly)behave the same so the mapping of that servo will likely be the same of the Beijer servos I use.
Pp

Last edited:
Hello CommissioningMan
I do appreciate your time and helpful information provided.
This project actually it's not mine, simply I get my head around trying to help a friend :) and I can say I haven't any previously experience using Beckhoff. Most of my projects were implemented with Bradley stuff (PLC's HMI's SCADA Motion control with Kinetix drives, etc) but Hiwin and Beckhoff I never used before and seems to be a pain :)
The project itself its just one axis control ...a ballscrew moving up and down at preselected speeds. It would be more simple and economical to use an ordinary Inverter and an AC motor but its not my decision see... Really confused already :)
By the way do you think would be easier to use a D1-N drive? Whats the price of an CX5120 unit? See attached the servo details also
Have a good day

IMG-20200430-WA0001.jpg

Hi there
I was also looking for a beijer solution tbh.
Does the X2 unit support Hiwin E1 Drive pls?
Thanks

Hi mate
Very probably. It's an ethercat master tied to no vendor; Beijer's philosophy is that of connectivity.
If you can find the ESI file, I can take a screen shot of what it looks like. The drive supports Profile modes and Cyclic synch modes, so you have a few choices. The x2 control is the Hmi, too so it's money in the bank!

Hi paraffin P
Thank you for reply.
That's the other thing, I can get the ESI files from other Hiwin drives except E1 :(
You talking about the X2 control with integrated codesys, is that correct?
Thanks

Thank you
Have you got please a price list for x2's, just to make an idea of what the bill will going to be
Regards
D

Thank you
I've just sent an enquiry at Beijer uk just few seconds ago...
It is appreciated
Have a good rest of the day:beerchug: