info from barcode reader to PLC

realolman

RSLogix 5000 3 AB PLCs connected to common Ethernet switch , already using consumed and produced tags

How could I get info from a Microscan QX830 barcode reader using ethernet, to be used in the PLC? specifically the number of the barcode that it read

thank you

Are you sure Microscan QX830 is ethernet/ip compatible. I know sick and cognex barcode readers are 100% ethernet/ip compatible and they have program examples on their respective web pages.

Hey thank you for going to the trouble to post this stuff.

widelto: it is new to me too. I am planning on retiring within a few months, but I'd kinda like to learn this before I go.

I have been following the manual from microscan, and my controller is a bit different, and also there is some sorta import rigamarole that automatically scopes the input and output to the routine level. Maybe that doesn't matter.... I guess I could transfer it to some sorta controller level tag. Or use it as is... I'm not at all sure what I'm doing, but that never stopped me before.... as a matter of fact that's what always made it interesting.

Also, I am unclear as to whether the input and output is referring to the PLC or the scanner

Additionally, you hafta set some stuff in the scanner.

I am going to try to keep plugging because I would like to know how to get info from some "foreign" device into an AB PLC

anyway ..thanks to all who responded... and don't leave me now... I appreciate it very much .....I wonder if people realize how much this forum and you people have expanded the capabilities of guys like me. exponentially.

Last edited:
I am trying to exchange info with a

microscan qx830 barcode reader
and a 1756 L61 ControlLogix 5561 controller rev 19.11

through an Ethernet connection: 1756 ENBT / A ENTB card

the instructions from microscan for doing so were created for:

Allen-Bradley PLC Setup
This section was created and run on the following Allen Bradley/Rockwell components:
• RSLogix 5000 Version 16
• ControlLogix 5561 processor

• 756-ENBT/A EtherNet/IP interface card, firmware version 4.003 or newer.

There are pretty detailed instructions and I have been able to follow them up to a point

I import a GENERIC ETHERNET MODULE and verify that the Input and output tags appear in the controller tags

Then it says to open the main program and import a rung. I am able to do all that, until it says :

At the “Import Configuration” window, link the first two items to the module name assigned earlier:

that window does not appear, and I don't know how to "link the first two items to the module name assigned earlier"

For one thing, it seems that the tags created wen I import the rung are routine scoped and the I/O tags created when importing the GENERIC ETERNET MODULE are controller scoped

could someone cast some light on this please
thank you

Last edited:
realolman,

This is another method which uses messaging (MSG Instruction) to communicate with the added QX module...

Adding a QX product to an EtherNet/IP Network

It uses the Generic Ethernet Module in the RSLogix 5000 I/O Configuration, similar to the method in the manual, except the added module is Inhibited, so you are not using the module defined I/O tags at the Controller Scope. Rather the MSG instruction uses the added module as its path to access the barcode reader data.

There is a "Note: This product Rev1 Object only supports unconnected messaging"

This is why the module defined tags are not used here and only messaging is supported. However, this may have been the only option for older revision 1 hardware and since then the option in the manual of using the module tags proper is now supported on later hardware revisions.

That's just my educated guess on that.

However, this messaging method may suit you better and be a bit easier to set up than the method you are struggling with? You do have to create some User Defined Tags, but it is well explained.

Up to you my friend.

Regards,
George

thank you I will look into that. I found some sort of instrux on the inet that mentioned inhibiting the module

Im not sure I want to learn to do this after all :)

ps. what I found was what you linked thank you

I have followed the instructions on the link and I believe I have everything as it showed.

I confess to not understanding much of any of it, but that's not that unusual.

At the very end they show adding an XIO and setting it to MSGControl.EN ... It always shows an error : "invalid data type argument must match parameter data type"

I have looked at this thing a dozen times... I can't see what is wrong.

A little (more) help please

You would usually get that error message if a tag of an incorrect Data Type is assigned to a bit level instruction, or similar. As I'm sure you are aware, you must assign a bit level tag address to an XIO instruction. Are you positive that the tag address you have assigned to the XIO is the tag "MSGControl.EN" which is of Data Type "BOOL" and not something like the parent tag "MSGControl" which is of Data Type "MESSAGE"?

Bit_level_tag.jpg

You would usually get that error message if a tag of an incorrect Data Type is assigned to a bit level instruction, or similar. As I'm sure you are aware, you must assign a bit level tag address to an XIO instruction. Are you positive that the tag address you have assigned to the XIO is the tag "MSGControl.EN" which is of Data Type "BOOL" and not something like the parent tag "MSGControl" which is of Data Type "MESSAGE"?

your picture shows exactly what I did from the .pdf from where I got it. I followed that PDF pretty much to the letter except for the controllers name

The verify rung always complains about the XIO which I picked from the list just as it shows in your picture: "MSGControl.EN" .... but it doesn't complain about the XIC, which I also picked as MSGControl which is as you said type "MESSAGE" Also, If I look MSGControl.EN in the Controller tags, it is type BOOL

if I delete the XIO, the error goes away and it's happy with the XIC being a MESSAGE, but if I include the XIO, and pick the MSGControl.EN , it complains

Also you cant' be sure I am aware of anything. But thank you very much for your help...

Last edited: