info from barcode reader to PLC

realolman said:
...The verify rung always complains about the XIO which I picked from the list just as it shows in your picture: "MSGControl.EN" .... but it doesn't complain about the XIC, which I also picked as MSGControl which is as you said type "MESSAGE" Also, If I look MSGControl.EN in the Controller tags, it is type BOOL...

Note: Tags of data type MESSAGE are known as object-backed tags. The MESSAGE data type is made up of many predefined tag members of varying base data types, such as BOOL, SINT, INT, etc. The. EN (Enable) bit is one of the predefined BOOL members, so it will always be of BOOL data type when you go check it in the Controller Tags.

I have never assigned a tag of MESSAGE data type to a bit level instruction, such as an XIC, and I'm not in a position to do so right now. So I cannot say exactly how RSLogix 5000 will react to doing so, but it should not like it? I'd imagine you "should" be getting the same or similar verify rung error?

That aside - what is the purpose of the XIC instruction and why are you assigning a tag of MESSAGE data type to it? Are you just experimenting? A tag of MESSAGE data type should only be assigned to a MSG (Message) instruction.

Have you tried with just the XIO MSGControl.EN and MSG MSGControl and no XIC MSGControl? There is no XIC used in the PDF. I'm not sure what your trying to add that for?

Regards,
George