New PLCs.net Site Features and Design

Could I suggest that old threads be locked to make them read only after a set time?
Recently there was a post added to a thread whose last post was 12 years ago.

I think rather than lock old threads, it might be better to highlight the age somehow. Like when I am not logged in, there is a pink banner prompting me to register. Maybe a warning "THIS THREAD IS MORE THAN TWO YEARS OLD" across the top as a reminder to those who may not notice the date and offer a solution to an antique problem.

I just hope the main forum remains quick and simple and the changes are minimal. My internet access at home has to bounce through a wifi booster, off of some trees and to a cell tower 14 miles away. This site is about the only one that works without long delays when the weather is bad.

Last edited:
Perhaps the possibility to mark a thread as solved would be nice?

It is common for new members to try and help people.
This is a good thing, but often they search for a low number reply or zero. Then attempt to assist
Just a warning pop up. 'X year old thread are you sure'
When they go to post their reply

Other than that Phil. I am very happy with this site
Always have been
Have a great year mate.

I think a thanks button and counter would be a good addition. Sometimes I get replies or find information that doesn't warrant a reply but has been helpful and it would be nice to acknowledge that.

Maybe a stickied section in the main menu where threads with a constant contribution could be added.

No I don't think it would be better. When you replied I got and immediate email notification of it. I can decide whether to come here or reply or continue what I'm doing. I'd like the same for new threads.

Note if there were an RSS feed there are services or there that can email you new entries into the feed so it is possible that could be a alternate solution

How about a list/page of integrator's looking for work... a few times a week I have customers contacting me looking for help. This would help people looking for a programmer and also help small guys like a lot of us looking for work or side jobs

I started a contact list but its a pain trying to keep up, you could just have people list their talents and area of work, the customers/end users could just send them a PM asking if they are interested, I have a customer in Detroit looking for someone to back up their old SLC150 but I dont have anyone in MI on my contact list

I think it could get the economy working again... it would be like Uber of contract engineering, all we need is a phone app :geek:

The only bad thing about marking it solved is that's a matter of opinion a lot of the time... maybe just the +1 votes or likes

Also 'thank you' button would be nice.... I have a few thousand times I made a comment and i'm sure I would have 1 or 2 'thank yous' by now :)