Newbie: Converting from 90-70 to Rx3i

You want to upgrade to beyond Version 7.
It is really nice to be able to open 2 instances of ME and copy and paste between the 2 and/or compare logic.

how can I replace the GENI BASED: Genius® Network Interface Global Data. I know that this is only available in Rx7i and 90-70.
GENI BASED was the generic fallback for devices that didn't show up in the list of available modules when configuring all of the devices on the Genius network. If you know the actual part number of the device it will likely show up in the list of available modules when you add a Genius device to the bus controller in hardware configuration. The list in PME covers everything GE ever offered that had a GE part number. If it doesn't, there is a tab labeled "3rd Party" for generic Genius devices.

The CPU310 and CPU315 are still options in my 8.5 version.

When you open an older version project in a newer version software, the project is updated and will keep the same configuration.

GENI BASED was the generic fallback for devices that didn't show up in the list of available modules when configuring all of the devices on the Genius network. If you know the actual part number of the device it will likely show up in the list of available modules when you add a Genius device to the bus controller in hardware configuration. The list in PME covers everything GE ever offered that had a GE part number. If it doesn't, there is a tab labeled "3rd Party" for generic Genius devices.

yes, I have looked at the part's number. it is IC660ELB905 Geni-based in my original 90-70 hardware config.

and under rx3i config: I found ELB906, ELB921 and ELB922 and I also looked under 3rd party and there was generic I/O option only.

The IC660ELB906 is the Genius PCIM (Personal Computer Interface Module) which is a two-card assembly that resides in a personal computer and makes the PC a device on the Genius network. It may be that IC660ELB905 is the part number of the Genius daughter board.
In any event, for Rx3i configuration use IC660ELB906.

The IC660ELB906 is the Genius PCIM (Personal Computer Interface Module) which is a two-card assembly that resides in a personal computer and makes the PC a device on the Genius network. It may be that IC660ELB905 is the part number of the Genius daughter board.
In any event, for Rx3i configuration use IC660ELB906.

the problem we are having is that we don't have any personal computer up there. we have 2 quick panel in 90-70 which are Geni-based and the quick panel are sending only register information. so, my question would be, how can I configure the genius in the touch screen.

i took pictures of my configuration and attached it below, please take a look at it.

90-70 config.jpg geni1.jpg geni2.jpg rx3i config.jpg

Is the IC660ELB905 the Genius interface module on the Quick Panel? If so take a look at the "Global Data" tab in the configuration for the IC697BEM731 module at SBA 31. That will tell you if the PLC is broadcasting a block of global data that the Quick Panel can display.

Is the IC660ELB905 the Genius interface module on the Quick Panel? If so take a look at the "Global Data" tab in the configuration for the IC697BEM731 module at SBA 31. That will tell you if the PLC is broadcasting a block of global data that the Quick Panel can display.

I took picture of the SBA31 config, looks like its not broadcasting any global data.

SBA31.jpg

You also need to verify all of the field hardware as it is not unusual to find these older systems with replaced hardware but with the old stuff still in the PLC configuration. This is especially true of old PC based HMI or SCADA software where the PC had a PCIM board like the IC660ELB905 or ELB906.

If you have QuickPanels out there communicating via Genius I recommend changing that as soon as possible as its better to plan that type upgrade rather than need to do it in an 'emergency'.

You don't "have to" update your software. The CPE310 will run in compatibility mode as a CPU310. I would, as the others on this thread, recommend it however.

You don't "have to" update your software. The CPE310 will run in compatibility mode as a CPU310. I would, as the others on this thread, recommend it however.
The ONLY time one would use that 'compatibility' mode is if a CPU310 failed and a CPE310 was used to get going again as quickly as possible.

I am having a problem with communication as I was testing it on Friday. So for the RX3i first time I had it connected with the serial port and downloaded an IP address that I was given to test, not the original IP address that was running with the 90-70. and now on the field when I tired to use the IP address that was associated with 90-70 and go online, it would talk. I know that it is because I already had the tested IP address downloaded in the hardware. however I would like to use the IP that has been using already. How can I do that?

I'm not sure I understand your question, but here are some guidelines when changing the IP address.
There are two places that will need to be changed, and you will need to change them in the correct order. Let's assume the IP address of the PLC is currently 192.168.0.1 and you are successfully communicating with it. To change the PLC's IP address you must first open the hardware configure for the PLC and change the IP address for the appropriate port, typically either the Ethernet port on the CPU module or the port on the ETM module. After making the change in hardware configuration you must download the changed configuration to the PLC. You must stop the PLC before you can download configuration changes. If you don't stop the PLC you aren't given the option to download the new configuration.
After you download the configuration with the changed IP address you will lose communication with the PLC. To reestablish communications you will need to look at the properties window of the PLC target and change the IP address there. That is where you set the method that Proficy Machine Edition will use to communicate with the PLC, either serial or Ethernet and the IP address of the of the target if using ethernet. Once you have changed the IP address that Proficy Machine Edition uses for communications you will be able to get back online with the PLC.