Trouble setting up NPORT express with SLC 5/04. PLEASE HELP!

Sorry about that, a CP3 is a AB Cable 1756-CP3. I am not totally sure if it is exactly the same as a null modem. I will try to look up the pin connections and post it.

Here is the pinout for a 1747-CP3, and the comment from AB website. Thats AB for ya, always wanting you to buy something.

PLC Serial Port
2 3
3 2
4 6
5 5
6 4
7 8
8 7

** A null modem cable could be used if a 1747-CP3 is unavailable, However a
standard null modem cable does not follow the above pin-out and should
only be used until a 1747-CP3 can be purchased.

The difference between the 1747-CP3 and an "ordinary null-modem cable" is the tieback of the DCD pin. It shouldn't be important in this particular application with the MOXA device.

[attachment]

cp3_pinout.gif

You shouldn't have to mess with DCD, RTS, CTS, DSR, or DTR pins. Hardware handshaking isn't required for this application because you don't have a modem or a small buffer so let's not use it. You should only need TXD, RXD, and COM (2,3,5) pins in your serial cable.

As Jiri Toman mentioned, be sure that your SLC Channel 0 mode is "System". I know you've been changing things around trying to get this to work, but with the settings you posted there's no way you should have been able to go online with the SLC using the serial port! The SLC Channel 0 System Mode should be set for 19200 baud, 8/N/1 format, and No Handshaking. That's default out-of-the-box DF1 Full Duplex.

Disable the RTS/CTS handshaking settings for the NPort. My best guess based on the settings you posted is that the NPort was expecting RTS/CTS handshaking and the SLC was not obliging because it was set to "No Handshaking".

I downloaded and read the MOXA user manual for the DE311 and these menus actually look different than the manual I read. Where did the delimiter and transmit timeout settings go on the NPort OPMode menu ?

If you do find the OPmode settings for the DE-311 and can modify the Delimiter bytes, try setting them for "10 03" hex. Those two bytes are the [DLE ETX] end-of-transmission code that concludes every DF1 full duplex packet.

Hey guys,

Thanks for the replies again. Here below is the settings as you guys have specified. Still no luck. I have tried every cable I have, just in case I have a bad cable or something. No difference. I seem to get a connection between the SLC and the NPort as when I connect the two with a nulled serial cable, the DSR bit on the line status area on the Monitor screen changes from lower case to uppercase. But RSLinx does not seem to be trying to access the nport. Heres my screenshots of what I believe to be all vital screens. If you'd like to see others, just ask. I am officially stumped.

nport_collage2.jpg

Can you see the N-port when you go to Device Manager? You should have it there as com port 3. If not you will have to install it using Hardware wizard.

If it is installed, call Moxa tech support. They can test it with you to make sure it is configured ok.

I have a few questions if that is ok. I have gotten lost with all that has been done.

1. The Moxa device is connected to the DF1 port (not DH)..correct?
2. I take it you have no problem seeing the Moxa on the LAN? You can ping it...or telnet to it?
3. Have you attempted using any lower baud rates?
4. In one of your pics it shows Change port setting..its set to High Performance, have you tried Classical?
5. Have you verified the cable has the proper connections? This seems to me a very strong suspect, when it seems all devices are working but comm cant be established look closely at the cable.
6. In the Configure RS232 DF1 device it shows the SLC CH0 address as Decimal 00..isnt that normally the PC/Workstation address? Is the PC and SLC using different addresses?
7. Why use CRC instead of default BCC? I thought the 5/04 was suppose to use BCC. I vaguely remember some issue on this when using modems (Sixnet etc) attached to 5/04.

I got more thoughts but these seem to be the foremost in my head, please check thru the list and see if there is anything that may help.

Please let us know.

SLC and MicroLogix controllers natively use CRC error checking, and that's part of the protocol itself that the MOXA device would be transparent to. I think that the DF1 addresses are likewise immaterial when you're using DF1 Full Duplex; the SLC should ignore the destination address that's in the incoming packet. It couldn't hurt to change the Channel 0 "Source ID" to 1, though.

I figure three things could be happening here:

1. The cable or settings on the RS232 side of the MOXA DE311 are wrong, so it won't communicate to the SLC-5/04.

2. There's something wrong with RSLinx that prevents it from working with a virtual COM port, yet it doesn't report an error.

3. Settings and Linx are fine but the MOXA device is waiting for a buffer to fill up before it sends any packets out the serial port (this is why I asked about the delimiter settings).

If you can set up a dumb terminal (like Hyperterminal) at the output of the DE311 while you run RSLinx and RSWho, it ought to tell you if there is any serial traffic at all (which may help solve #1 or #2).

By the way, wlemst88, you're doing a great job with the details and the patience.

I should mention that the 1761-NET-ENI does exactly what you originally wanted; it allows you to use the RSLinx Ethernet drivers with an SLC-5/03, /04, or MicroLogix DF1 Full Duplex port. I've had many customers scrap their third-party serial interfaces in favor of the 1761-NET-ENI just because it's so much easier to set up.

Last edited:
Ken I would never disagree with you about AB products BUT I have run into situations where the 5/04 was different.
NOTE the following link:
Configure Online Communications Hardware
F1) Computer/Terminal Address: 10 (Something Other than PLC Node)
F2) Interface Hardware Type: 5/03,5/04 CH0, 1770-KF3, 1747-KE
F3) Online wait for reply timeout: 15 Seconds
F4) Communications Port: ComX (Com port of PC modem)
F5) Baud Rate: 9600
F6) Parity: None
F7) Error Checking: CRC (This should be BCC if 5/04)
F8) Protocol: Full Duplex
F9) Dial Modem: Yes
CTL-F1) Modem Dial String: ATDT- (Phone #)
CTL-F2) Network Diagnostics (Dials Number & Connects to Remote PLC)
CTL-F3) Run Terminal Utility Program
http://www.sixnetio.com/htmlhelps/vtmodem/5a67289.htm

http://http://domino.automation.roc...F3C17422EB9BBC3385256AFB00642462?OpenDocument

I have had some issues in this area I do not wish to go into at this time...please verify this issue with the SLC 5/04. I know we are talking about a null modem connection but isnt that suppose to emulate a modem connection?

I havent looked at the Moxa device manual...I assume it will do what it is suppose to. I believe the issue will lie with the SLC and RS software...from past experience. The issue may be a misconfiguration of simple settings and it doesnt hurt to test those. I understand the SLC series in general by default uses CRC but NOT ALL DO.

I havent said anything on this thread because in general its not a subject I a familiar with. I am familiar with some aspects of it though. I am also a troubleshooter in a variety of areas. I asked a few questions....it wouldnt hurt to look at what I have asked and check those areas...OR CHECK THE ISSUES pertaining to settings...regardless of what you may think is correct.

No I dont make your money nor can do what you can when it comes to plcs...but I can offer things when not summarily dismissed.

BTW I also am willing to spend a lot of time looking up answers to problems when needed...I dont have the resources of many to use the plcs/devices in question but I do attempt to find answers.

I am probably wasting my time but its my time and regardless of what some of you may think I will keep on adding my information when I think it may help.

Last edited:
Ron, I wasn't dismissing you at all; my postings were concentrating on the documentation for the DE-311, not on your suggestions about checking and re-checking the serial port settings on the SLC-5/04. You have far more industrial experience than I do and I respect and welcome your participation on this Forum.

Let's not confuse things for Wes with that Sixnet modem technote. I don't know why it claims that the 5/04 has to use BCC error checking, and they don't explain themselves beyond their parenthetical statement. The RA Knowledgebase document link is to Knowbase document A16500, which does describe the use of a SLC-5/03 or /04 with a 1747-KE module with all ports set for BCC error checking. My guess in both cases is that because BCC error checking is easier and faster that it was chosen to lessen the processing load on the routines dealing with Channel 0. The SLC-5/04 has used CRC error checking on Channel 0 by default since it was introduced in 1993, but that doesn't mean it's mandatory.

My understanding of DF1 protocol is that the Destination address in an incoming packet gets discarded anyway by the SLC serial port and it will always appear as Node 1 in RSWho regardless of the setting for "Source ID" (which is 9 when you open up a new SLC-5/0x project).

One thing that did occur to me while looking at your suggestions is that the 5/04 might be set up for DH+ passthrough ! That would prevent it from responding to DF1 browsing packets... they would be passed onto DH+ and would not get a response if their nodes didn't exist.

Getting a capture of any RS232 traffic at the DE-311 serial port would let us dig into a possible error checking or protocol issue.