Way OT – Employer/Employee Conflict

Part 1 - Post 1 - Response to original post

I have been following this thread for some time. Before responding, I wanted to do some research and prayer, seeking direction for this response. I seem to have a talent in igniting a fire of passions amongst other members. This post will probably be no different.

With that said, I will post two separate responses. The first will deal specifically with the original post. The second will address the responses.

In reviewing the original post, I can identify four specific issues
  1. As you call him "AC" and how he initiated this situation, as it stands now.
  2. Your Current Living Arrangements
  3. The Response of Your Boss
  4. Your Current Walk With Our Creator
Much will depend on what you believe. If you believe God’s Word to be absolute, then you will do what is right…according to God’s Word.

As you call him "AC" and how he initiated this situation, as it stands now.

Your current situation stems from a letter by "AC" to your boss. You are correct in that it was a cowardly way to deal with an issue. In proper order, "AC" had issues with you specifically, he should have come to you directly, to address them. Jesus Himself states during His sermon on the mount in Matthew 5:23 - 24

"Therefore, if you bring a gift to the altar, and there remember that your brother has something against you, leave your gift there, before the altar, and go your way. First be reconciled to your brother, and then come and offer your gift."

If after he went to you to address these issues, if you did nothing, then, Jesus says in Matthew 18:15 - 18

Moreover, if your brother sins against you, go and tell him his fault between you and him alone. If he hears you, you have gained a brother. But, if he will not hear, take with you one or two more, that by the mouth of two or three witnesses, every word may be established. And if he refuses to hear them, tell it to the church. But if he refuses even to hear the church, let him be to you like a heathen and a tax collector."

There is an order established by God in dealing with conflict amongst members of His church.

It is your right to confront your accuser. If claims and accusations were made in the letter to your boss, then you have every right to address him directly.

If your boss is a believer in God’s Word as being absolute, he should have brought both of you together so that you could directly confront your accuser and address the issues stated in the letter. If your boss didn’t know the identity of the letter writer, then he had two options…find out who wrote the letter and bring both of you together to address the allegations. If he could not determine who the author was, he should have dismissed it. If the author was not willing to put his name to the letter, then the letter offers no credibility.

Your current living arrangements

The whole "living in sin" label has been blown way out of proportion. There are two perspectives at work here.

God’s perspective

Man’s perspective

Let’s first look at man’s perspective. Marriage is a contract entered into by one man and one woman. The ceremony can be conducted by anyone who has a state license to conduct the execution of this type of contract.

God’s perspective is different. Marriage is a gift that He gave to us. The first marriage was between Adam and Eve. Eve was a gift from God to Adam, because God said

"It is not good that the man should be alone, I will make him an helper, comparable to him. Out of the ground the Lord God formed every beast of the field and every bird of the air and brought them to Adam to see what he would call them. And whatever Adam called each living creature, that was its name. So Adam gave names to all the cattle, to the birds of the air, and every beast of the field. But for Adam there was not found a helper comparable to him." And the Lord caused a deep sleep to fall on Adam, and he slept, and He (God) took one of his ribs and closed up the flesh in its place. Then the rib which the Lord God had taken from man, he made into a woman, and He brought her to the man. And Adam said, this is now bone of my bones and flesh of my flesh; she shall be called woman, because she was taken out of man. Therefore, a man shall leave his father and mother and be joined to his wife and they shall become one flesh. And they were both naked, the man and his wife, and they were not ashamed. Genesis 2:18 - 25

God didn’t stand before Adam and Eve and perform a wedding ceremony as we know it today. There was no contract. God simply gave Adam an incredible gift.

Genesis 29 recounts Jacob’s marriage to Leah and Rachel. The consummation of the marriage, in God’s eyes is what bound both Jacob and Leah and Jacob and Rachel together in marriage. In God’s eyes, once you have had relations with that person of the opposite ***, you are married. The ceremony is a celebration of the joining of two people together…it is nothing more than that.

I know tangents can go wild…so don’t bring up the two wives issue, it is not relative to this discussion.

In God’s eyes, marriage is simple…we have made it complicated. Throughout His word, you will find nothing about how to get married…because marriage is a gift from God. What you will find in His word relates to the conduct in marriage that He is most concerned. The last thing God wants is for His gift to be defiled.

Then the scribes and Pharisees brought to Him a woman caught in adultery. And when they had set her in the midst, they said to Him, Teacher, this woman was caught in adultery, in the very act. Now Moses, in the law commanded us that such should be stoned. But what do You say? This they said, testing Him, that they might have something of which to accuse Him. But Jesus stooped down and wrote on the ground with His finger, as though He did not hear. So when the continued asking Him, He raised Himself up and said to them, "He that is without sin among you, let him throw the first stone. And again He stooped down and wrote on the ground. Then those who heard it, being convicted by their conscience, went out one by one, beginning with the oldest, even to the last. And Jesus was left alone, and the woman standing in the midst. When Jesus had raised Himself up and saw no one but the woman, He said to her, "Woman, where are your accusers? Has no one condemned you?" She said, "No one Lord." And Jesus said to her, "Neither do I condemn you, go and sin no more. John 8:1-11

Jesus turned the situation around, posing the question to all of us. Under the law, if you were found in adultery, you were stoned to death. Because no one was without sin except Jesus, no one could truly judge her, except Him. In doing so, He did not condemn her, but simply told her to stop doing what she was doing.

As believers, we are to respect the leadership and laws that are in place:

Then Pilate said to Him, are You not speaking to me? Do You not know that I have the power to crucify you and the power to release You? Jesus said "You could have no power at all against me unless it had been given to you from above…" John 19:10

In another instance when confronted by the Pharisees:

Then the Pharisees went and plotted how they might entangle Him in His talk. And they sent to Him their disciples with the Herodians, saying, Teacher, we know that You are true and teach the way of God in truth; nor do You care about anyone, for You do not regard the person of man. Tell us, therefore what do You think> Is it lawful to pay taxes to Caesar, or Not? But Jesus perceived their wickedness, and said, "Why do you test Me, you hypocrites?" Show Me the tax money. So they brought Him a denarius. And He said "Whose image and inscription is this?" They said to Him Caesar’s. And He said to them, Render therefore to Caesar the things that are Caesars, and to God the things that are God." Matthew 22:15 - 21

Therefore, in that you are probably already married in the eye’s of God, it would probably be in your best interest to make your marriage legal also. Unfortunately, the church’s view on marriage is more from a legal perspective. In getting married legally, you will satisfy your boss and be able to move forward.

If you are engaged, do you have a ring and a date? If not, then you aren’t really engaged.

In the Jewish faith, when a man and a woman get married, they sign what is called a katuba…a marriage contract that is done in private with the Rabbi and witnesses. Once that is signed, they are legally married. The ceremony, is after the signing and is a celebration for family and friends.

Part 2 - Post 1 - Response to original post

The Response of Your Boss

With regards to your Boss’ response, it appears that he is consistent in his stance. You had mentioned in your second post that two other employees had gone through similar situations. Your Boss told you that the removal of your title is temporary. Not knowing what else transpired in your meetings with him, it appears that he has strong views. He wants his leadership to be beyond reproach. His response to your current situation is consistent with that of the two other employees.

There have been many responses to "personal life not being an issue in the work place." I disagree with that and will respond more in the second post. Needless to say, your boss believes that what you do in your personal life cannot be separated from your professional life.

He did not fire you, but merely demoted you temporarily. As an employee of the company, you are an ambassador for the company. As a manager, you are in a position of power and influence. You deal with other employees, vendors and customers. Your boss has certain expectations for his key people. I believe that your title will be restored after you are married.

Your Current Walk With Your Creator.

In your second post you stated that you believe in God, but that your beliefs do not reconcile with any modern religion. Believing in God is only part of it. Many people believe in God and that He exists. Lucifer knows without a doubt that God exists, but that doesn’t change his final outcome. It isn’t merely recognizing that God exists. It is about having a relationship with your Creator and honoring Him. Looking back at Lucifer…he chose to do things his own way rather than what God required.

There are many denominations that offer specific beliefs and interpretations, that provide greater controversy and conflict than reconciliation. It is not about compromise, but obedience to God’s Word.

So, if you believe in God…Do you believe His Word to be true?

If you believe His Word to be true, then wouldn’t you follow what He says?

These are all questions that only you can answer.

It could be that this experience is a test for you and of your convictions. Are you going to take the easy path of man that many travel or are you going to take the hard path of God that few travel?

I am not in judgment of you or anyone, but am providing you with a perspective that will be in the minority of those that respond to your thread.

The choices that you made are yours. Doing nothing is a choice…that if you choose to do, will result in your current position at work remaining the same. If you choose to leave because you disagree with your boss’ decision, then you are not respecting his authority. If you will not respect your boss’ authority, how can you respect and honor God’s authority?

These are all choices and decisions only you can make.

If Stephen thinks marriage is a gift from God, who do I send the "Thank You" note to for my divorce?

Reminds me of the joke:

Q: Why is divorce so expensive?
A: Because it's worth it.

Or, another one:

Ain't love grand? Yeah, but divorce is ten grand!

Steve Bailey said:
Stephen,

Thank you for your eloquent essay on the wisdom of the principle of separation of church and state.

I do not understand the relevancy to Stephen's reply, please elaborate. You got an AMEN which also does not make sense because it is basically a word used implying a religious acceptance to what is said.

I can recite or show numerous links from past or present Presidents, officials of the US government, and more stating/showing the US was founded and is maintained on the belief in GOD and the predominant factor is a belief in the Abrahamic version. Therefore the state and the "church" may not be the same entity but they are still intertwined to a point because a large portion of the people are religious or spiritual beings.

The First Amendment states "Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof . . ." It does not state separate church from state, it was meant to provide religious freedom for all. The separation movement is denying that aspect that our government was suppose to protect.

It does not matter what an individual believes but when you destroy the foundation that a government was built upon then you will destroy the government.

I do disagree with Stephen on one part of his response. Sleeping with someone does not consumate a marriage according to Abrahamic (the Bible) version. Marriage is a gift but it must be a commitment made before GOD. Sleeping with someone is just adultery which is in violation of the Ten Commandments.

I also am not sure what this being the year 2006 has to do with the subject at all. Morality has a bearing on many things in life with jobs being a major aspect of it whether state law or religious law is involved. The possibility of a person being immoral will inevitably lead to being able to trust a person.

This is my personal opinion on the subject, if you and your fiance are serious and have spent some time together to know marriage is what you want then set a date, maybe a year away or so. This may placate your boss to a point BUT better yet go to your boss and state it could be sooner but financial considerations do not allow you to have a "proper" church wedding as you desire. My boss footed the bill for everything, cake, flowers, rings, preacher, babysitter, and hotel/dinner for a simple honeymoon. Sometimes bosses like to be involved on a personal level with their employees. I have been too rash in my judgements most of my life and it will hurt you making rash decisions. Have a heart to heart talk, no emails and/or anger, and determine what will alleviate the situation so you can return to previous status and remove this situation as an issue.

I can't speak for Mr. Bailey, but in my case the "Amen" was a heartfelt expression that judgement of another based on a particular set of religious writings is fraught with peril and opens the way for tremendous abuse. Any historical incident where religious belief was enforced ended badly, regardless whether or not the enforcers were well intentioned or not.

It is my experience that the particular set of divine revelation adhered to by a given individual is pretty much an accident of birth. I am a Christian of a certain denomination because my parents were of that faith. I think it incredibly presumptuous of me to assume that God has condemned millions to damnation because he placed them with parents of a different or of no faith.

I have known pagans, Hindus, Moslems, and atheists that practiced more good will to their fellow man, and did more to aid the least of their brethren, than other ordained scripture spouting ministers I have known. I have also known ordained ministers that I felt were truly holy men.

It is my belief that every man should follow his conscience "without let or hindrance" so long as he grants the same right to others, and so long as his conscience does not allow or promote exploitation of others or hurtful actions to others. In my experience this is a "universal" truth that men of good will of any faith would assent to.

I don't presume to judge Mr. Luft's intentions or his faith. I do find the line of action he condones leading to a slippery slope where an "authority", self-proclaimed or otherwise, can coerece the behavior of another individual.

Last edited:
Ron,

I said nothing about constitutional articles or amendments. I chose the word "principle" carefully. I meant it in the sense that separation of church and state is a guiding principle of our legal system, much the same as the Ten Commandments (or at least five of them) are guiding principles.

Furthermore, separation of church and state is not a principle invented by some "separation movement". One can make the case that it goes back at least as far as Jesus (Matthew 22:21, Mark 12:17, Luke 20:25).

jtn said:
I haven't replied because I see both see both sides of the story. I'll try to fumble through what I think:

1. I believe that anyone who starts up there own business has a right to run it however they see fit. If workers are not happy they will move on and the owner will have a hard time keeping productive people around and his business will suffer.

I couldn't agree more. I have started, run and sold a business for a profit. I did the hard work. I put up the cash. I swept floors when everyone else was in bed. I took the risk, and for a time did without pay, so my employees could get paid. Starting/running a business is hard work. It takes a lot more effort that many people think. It takes more than money to make money.

We all have our own quirky ways. Some are good for business, some are bad. Either way, remember the man taking the risk, deserves to take that risk on his/her own terms.

I, as an employee, have left jobs for what I felt were personal conflicts with my boss at the time. On one occasion, I was forced to work for a true Nazi. On another, I was awarded a national recognition, and needed a week off to accept the award. My boss felt that this recognition was less important than sweeping his floors and stocking his shelves. That's life.

Do I think the boss in annon's case is right? No, not at all. Is what he is doing illegal? I have no idea. So far, you have no idea who the AC is. This person very well could be the Mayor of your town, or the banker, or the Preacher etc. Those people could put a huge amount of stress on a small company in a small town.

First and foremost, I never meant to imply that you should get married to appease the boss. Wrong reason to get married. However, if you are getting married anyway, this could smooth the issue over.

Second, there is a good deal more that we don't see here. We have all assumed that you are doing a good job. Truth is, a lot of people do not. The original post leads me to believe that there is more than the living arrangement involved. Moral or otherwise, these issues may have a great bearing on the single named issue. Again, there is simply not enough information, and I wouldn't dream of asking for more. To do so, would be akin to the action of the boss.

Life lesson hard earned over the twenty plus years of my career: Sometimes its just time to leave. The quieter the exit, no matter the circumstances, the better your overall reputation will be. If you are truly being done wrong, people will know, and respect you for Christian like behavior. After every single departure, my career has taken new and exciting tacks. I have never regretted leaving a job, good or bad. I do miss working with certain people, and on certain equipment. My career though, has taken a positive gain.

My current position has been held by a few highly respected individuals. I am humbled by the opportunity to hold this position. My behavior is always under close scrutiny, be it at work, at play or at home. In my opinion, it should be.

So while it is very easy to jump all over the boss in this case, there should be some close personal appraisal. If you spot a weakness, fix it, and move on.

I try work on my weaknesses every day. After all, I have a lot of good kids watching my every move, and they want the job I left to take on teaching. They deserve the best example I can muster. No matter what your job is, people notice. Later on in life, that good/bad reputation will be most important.

Wow LOL so much controversy.

If I was in your position, Anon, this is what I would think about.

Is your current career path more important to you than this woman that you love?
Are you willing to make sacrifices in your career for the sake of the marraige?
Would you accept an unfair demotion, lose some ground, and have to work your way back up?
Would you be willing to risk getting new job to get out of your current job situation? A new job could very well represent the equivalent of a demotion.
Do you want to continue working for a company that has treated you in this way?
Are you willing to take the time and investigate the legalities of your situation by consulting a lawyer or doing research? What would be your response to the possible outcomes of your research?

A common theme in these questions is What Do You Want? If you are given the choice between 2 things, you must decide yourself which you want the most, and what you are willing to sacrifice to get it. You need to work this out in your mind before you start taking drastic actions.

If you feel like you want to try to stick it out with your current company, then I think you need to talk to your boss very honestly. Tell him that you think you were treated unfairly, and ask him what his intentions are.

Don't try to change his beliefs about the morality of the situation, just try to find out what he thinks you should do about it. Tell him that you want to remain and work for him, and that you think you deserve your position back. If he disagrees, ask him what you would have to do to get it back. If he expects you to respond to moral pressure, tell him what you honestly feel about it. This is a tough conversation, but you need to be assertive.

Don't let emotions control your response. Decide how you feel about it before hand, and how you think you would feel about the different possible responses from your boss. Then act based upon what you are willing to do to get what you want from this situation.

I've been in situations like this before. Believe me, keeping a cool head, making well thought-out decisions, and understanding what you really want in your own mind will help you work this out the best. Also, give your antagonist a chance to change his position. If not, do what you have to do.

$

edit: I'm not sure what the rest of you are trying to accomplish by arguing about religion on a PLC forum, but to each his own.

Last edited:
rsdoran said:
I can recite or show numerous links from past or present Presidents, officials of the US government, and more stating/showing the US was founded and is maintained on the belief in GOD and the predominant factor is a belief in the Abrahamic version. Therefore the state and the "church" may not be the same entity but they are still intertwined to a point because a large portion of the people are religious or spiritual beings.

Ron,

I have to call your attention to this:

Treaty of Tripoli-1796 said:
The Treaty is notable for Article 11, from Joel Barlow's English translation, which reads:

"As the Government of the United States of America is not, in any sense, founded on the Christian religion; as it has in itself no character of enmity against the laws, religion, or tranquillity, of Mussulmen; and, as the said States never entered into any war, or act of hostility against any Mahometan nation, it is declared by the parties, that no pretext arising from religious opinions, shall ever produce an interruption of the harmony existing between the two countries."

This is quite clear in stating that the USA was not founded on Christianity.

As I have stated in the past many of the signers of the Declaration and early presidents were Deists or Unitarians.

The First 6 Presidents

George WashingtonDeist
John AdamsUnitarian
Thomas JeffersonDeist; Unitarian
James MadisonDeist
James MonroeDeist
John Quincy AdamsUnitarian

Other Notables
John TylerDeist
Millard FillmoreUnitarian
Abraham LincolnDeist
William Howard TaftUnitarian
Ulysses S. Grant - No affiliation

As you can see many of the early leaders did not have a god to lean on.

Bob

IT does not make sense

It is my belief that every man should follow his conscience "without let or hindrance" so long as he grants the same right to others, and so long as his conscience does not allow or promote exploitation of others or hurtful actions to others. In my experience this is a "universal" truth that men of good will of any faith would assent to.

It appears though that Stephen is not allowed to state his belief and/or opinion without hindrance though. I have not seen Stephen state that anyone else should not state an opinion because it was not keeping with his religious beliefs.

We have to be realistic though, some are not in the same position financially etc as others so there will always have to be some aspect of flexibility in any situation. The situation with anon_guy and his boss needs to find where that flexibility meets. It is unrealistic to think that religion and moral aspects will not have a bearing on a job while at the same time it may also be unrealistic for an employer to pressure an employee to get married....whether living in sin or not. Unrealistic or not this does not mean the boss is doing anything illegal or wrong, it is his company and has some rights to decide certain things...like it or not.

Morality is a part of life in just about any country or culture. In the US Gary Hart withdrew from the Presidential race because of issues with a scandal involving an affair, he later re-entered the race but recieved poor results in the nomination due to the scandal. Whether true or not is irrelevant, the point was the morality aspect changed voters opinion on his abilities.

It is all about perception and an employers perception concerning employees and impact is just as important as voters and those running for office. It may be more important because a political office may only be held for a few years but a job could be for a lifetime.

Ron,

I said nothing about constitutional articles or amendments. I chose the word "principle" carefully. I meant it in the sense that separation of church and state is a guiding principle of our legal system, much the same as the Ten Commandments (or at least five of them) are guiding principles.

What foundation offers that there should be separation though? It is stated that the government will not establish a law IMPOSING a religion, not that religion or religious beliefs are or will not be a part of government. The main reason it can not be removed as a part of government, as I mentioned, is that a large part of the population in the past and present, are spiritual, that includes those holding government office.

Why am I debating this? I do not believe in the BIBLE and GOD as represented by the BIBLE. What I do believe in is the right that Stephen has to present his belief and would fight to the death to defend that right. What I found appalling is the condecension and ridicule that was made because someone stated their opinion.

I believe anon_guy is in a "situation" that only he, his fiance, and his boss can resolve. I disagree that he should "grow a sac and quit" that is a rash decision and may not be totally justified. He has to look at all the options and with his fiance make a choice. Talking with his boss may offer an option that he nor we have thought of so I think he should open communications to establish those options. It has been noted that other issues with employees have been resolved and did not hurt the position of those involved.

Ahh geez Bob you answered while I was typing, you know better than to contest me on this subject.
John Adams
Signer of the Declaration of Independence and Second President of the United States

Last edited:
Tom Jenkins said:
I don't presume to judge Mr. Luft's intentions or his faith.

Tom,
When you click on the reply button you judged him, it's human nature, you did it.

Steve and Tom,
Your first quotes were sarcasm in the purest sense of the word. Quoting scripture can not hide the fact. Stephen has a right to speak his mind just as everyone else here does.

Its quite obvious that everyone here needs a damn vacation.

testsubject said:
As I have stated in the past many of the signers of the Declaration and early presidents were Deists or Unitarians
So what's your point? that some of our Pres. are going to hell?It's to late for them Stephen is trying to save you(y)

No bickering about GOVERMENTS, COUNTRIES, GAS, RELIGION OR WARS. There are some of the smartest people in the world here, its sad that the time is being spent bickering

We need to get back to PLCs, if someone says something that you don’t like...tuff $hit (myself included)

I'm going on vacation, hope when I come back there are kinder people here

To Anon: I don't have any advice for you that you don't all ready know or have heard from here, but I do wish you the best of luck and God-speed...opps here we go again