Newbie: Converting from 90-70 to Rx3i

Be careful getting files from non-GE sites as many times they are older versions.
Everything you need is on the GE Knowledge site and right now GE has some very good trade in deals going that you need to talk to your supplier about.

How do you convert the software program from lm90-70 to rx3i. I kinda followed the same way I converted the lm90-30 to proficy but by changing the family type to rx3i. But it would automatically change back the family type to 90-70 once the I import the logicmaster folder. I think its because to match up the config. but my questions is how can I convert to rx3i once I import?

How do you convert the software program from lm90-70 to rx3i. I kinda followed the same way I converted the lm90-30 to proficy but by changing the family type to rx3i. But it would automatically change back the family type to 90-70 once the I import the logicmaster folder. I think its because to match up the config. but my questions is how can I convert to rx3i once I import?
Follow theses steps:
1. Import the 90-70 project.
2. Change the 'Family' from 90-70 to RX3i
3. Validate the project.
4. Correct any 'Errors' and ignore all 'Warnings'.
5. Download to the RX3i.

Yes, it is really that simple. :D

what about the hardware config, I mean once I change the family type to Rx3i, the first 4 slots are pre-occupied, and others are empty, so manually configure them according to the rx3i I will be using?

what about the hardware config, I mean once I change the family type to Rx3i, the first 4 slots are pre-occupied, and others are empty, so manually configure them according to the rx3i I will be using?
Of course you will need the proper hardware configuration for the RX3i and there is no practical way for PME to know what you have there short of you either telling it or uploading it from the CPU. However I do not recommend the upload route.
You will have better control of the I/O addresses and the whole system if you build it.

Hi Russ,
About the I/O addresses, would it matter if use the same address as 90-70 in rx3i?
an ex: in my 90-70, the IC697MDL341 output card, I have %Q65 goes till %Q76, So when I configure in the software, using either Rx3iMDL350 or Rx3iMDL390, is it better to stick with the same reference addresses?

And Somehow it our storage room, we ended up with CPE310 instead of CPU310 but the software version I have is PME 7.0 which doesn't have the option of using CPE310. how can I get around that problem. do I need to update the software version. if I do, will I need to update all the PLC software version in order to communicate with each other?

Unless you plan on modifying all I/O in your program to match the hardware configuration, I would try to make the configuration as close as possible.

You can use Export/Import to easily change addresses if necessary.

The CPU310 has been obsolete for a couple of years. The CPE310 is the direct replacement. It could eliminate the need for the additional ETM Ethernet module depending on your needs.

I think you may have to upgrade your PME software. When you do, all of your current projects will be updated to the new version.

You could buy an additional license and run two versions on different computers or virtual machines. I prefer to stay with a single license.

As a bonus, versions 8.0 and higher support multi-instance. You can run more than one instance of PME. Its great for comparing and copying between projects.

dYoust is correct on all comments.
I would suggest though that you upgrade your software to the current version which today is 9.00.
Make the hardware configuration addresses match the 90-70 as close as possible and your conversion will go faster and smoother.

Another option: you can get your updated license "Key" on a USB drive and keep both versions on different computers then move the 'USB key' to the computer you need. The new keys will work with older versions of PME.

in 90-70: I have IC697MDL341 which is a 12 point isolated individually discrete output card and in RX3i, I am replacing that with IC693MDL340 which is a 16 point (two isolated groups, 8 points in each group).

My concerns is in IC693MDL340, I have 4 extra point, so how will the reference address work for them? or I just only assign reference address till point 12 and not worry about the rest?

Thank you

Basically my issue is that what if those four point uses reference address randomly, Please give me some insight about how replacing a 12 point to 16 point card works and how will I work with the reference address.

If you look closely at the starting addresses for all of the discrete modules in the 90-70 you'll find that they always start on a byte boundary such as %Q0001, %Q0009, %Q0017, %Q0025, etc. It doesn't matter that the module had only twelve outputs. The four unused outputs were not assigned to another module.

Basically my issue is that what if those four point uses reference address randomly, Please give me some insight about how replacing a 12 point to 16 point card works and how will I work with the reference address.

Your life will be less stressful if you take a few hours and study how Profisey and the GE PLC/PAC work together. Maybe take a couple of GE's online classes. A few are at no cost.

Last edited:
Thank you steve. and russ for suggesting it, it will help me a lot.

apologize for asking such silly questions I know you guys are very expert on these matters. I have tried searching in google a lot but I find asking here is the best sol to my problem.

Configuring genius bus controller in rx3i from 90-70, how can I replace the GENI BASED: Genius® Network Interface Global Data. I know that this is only available in Rx7i and 90-70.
GENI- based was used twice in 90-70 in serial bus number #5 and #20.
Setting: input default: off
redundance: no
Receive Global data: none

Last edited:
Unless you plan on modifying all I/O in your program to match the hardware configuration, I would try to make the configuration as close as possible.

You can use Export/Import to easily change addresses if necessary.

The CPU310 has been obsolete for a couple of years. The CPE310 is the direct replacement. It could eliminate the need for the additional ETM Ethernet module depending on your needs.

I think you may have to upgrade your PME software. When you do, all of your current projects will be updated to the new version.

You could buy an additional license and run two versions on different computers or virtual machines. I prefer to stay with a single license.

As a bonus, versions 8.0 and higher support multi-instance. You can run more than one instance of PME. Its great for comparing and copying between projects.

once I update the software version to a higher version, can I still configure the CPU as CPU310 or CPU315? the reason I am asking this cause in our plant, most of the rx3i has CPU310 and they don't want to spend a lot of money to change the hardware at once but they will eventually soon. right now we are working with PME version 7.0