Eaton easy512-dc-rc setup for conveyer noobie questions

Whether you can use the same power supply depends on its size. You need to add up all your 24 VDC loads (in Amps or Watts) and compare to the rated size of your existing power supply. If it is too small, you will have to buy another larger one, or use 2 smaller.

I recommend using 1 larger power supply to simplify your wiring and to make sure that you don't get two supplies cross-connected (which can let the smoke out)!

It appears that 3 of your outputs will be very low current, with only the solenoid requiring any measurable amount of power. So add the solenoid current to the EZ operating current, and if it is below your existing power supply rating, then you are good to go with that one.

Looking in the User Manual, Appendix, Technical Data, it appears that each Input of the EZ512-DC-RC uses 3.3 mA maximum, and the EZ uses about 80 mA (about 2 Watts at 24 VDC) maximum of internal power. I could not find a power usage for the relay outputs (have to AssUMe that the 80 mA includes the output relays also).

PS: I re-numbered your Inputs so that they are in numerical order as they occur in the program. This helps to keep them correct and they are easier to find (higher numbers are farther down in the program, lower numbers are near the top).

When you add each timer, make sure to change the default 00:00 time parameter to some number other than 0. I used 15 seconds for T01, 10 seconds for T02. Use whatever numbers that you estimate for the spray times.

Last edited:
Are you guys familiar with the cutler hammer perfect prox series 4 wire proximity sensors? I'm looking at the manual and it uses a 4 wire system. Brown and blue are + and - 24v and black and white are the load. Is the load the return signal or would it be brown and blu? Trying.to figure out which wires I would tie into the input of the plc. Sensor model e58-30dps280-hlp

I think it is as labeled - Brown and Blue are the 24 volt supply to the Proximity sensor. Black and White are for the load switch of which one would connect to your PLC. The only question is which (Black or White) have to connect where you use +24 as the power for your PLC input. The Cutler Hammer instructions should show which. If not, it probably does not matter.

EDIT: Looking at the Cutler-Hammer data sheet, the White wire would be for the load switch when you use the prox with +24 VDC as your Input common (your case). If you are using the -24 VDC as your PLC Input common, then use the Black wire. Otherwise leave Black unconnected (your case).
...there is one more proximity sensor placed at the end of the conveyor this sensor is going to turn off the track from moving until the object is removed from the track.
Here is a revised version (after trying it in Simulation Mode) with the "Restart" feature (as you mentioned in the above quote) added, plus I made a correction on Rung 012 (timer contacts should have been NO and in parallel instead of NC and in series).

Last edited:
I just realized as I was setting up the wiring procedure on the terminal inputs there is no i7 and i8. I need another button there for mode select. This is for the continuous feed and the stop on sensor 2. I noticed this wasn't in the input wiring diagram. Can this be added into the ladder logic easily?

And I'm assuming that this would also require a single 2 mode button for n.o and n.c like the button I'm going to use for speed select?

I'm still on the fence about using either a 2 mode button for speed select or a 2 mode rocker switch.

So again on the plc Q outputs , I should be tying q1 q2 and q3s pin 1's together in to the vfd CM pin?
Yes, if the VFD CM is the common for the VFD Control Voltage + terminal. But you should also run this CM line through a contact on your E-Stop switch, so that the E-Stop will kill all the inputs to the VFD, causing it to STOP in case something goes wrong. Use the 2nd E-Stop contact to break the +24 to the Q4 terminal 1 for the Spray Solenoid.

I just realized as I was setting up the wiring procedure on the terminal inputs there is no i7 and i8. I need another button there for mode select. This is for the continuous feed and the stop on sensor 2.
You really don't need I07 or I08, only a 2-position, 1-contact, maintained-contact manual toggle or rocker switch or pushbutton (push on, push off) for the I06 input (which is already in the program) as I explained before. If I06 is ON, that is the Continous Loop Mode where the conveyor is stopped when Proximity Switch 2 is triggered, and the conveyor will restart when the part is removed at Photoeye 2.

If I06 is OFF, then the conveyor will not STOP when Proximity Switch 2 is triggered. If you have a 2-contact selector of some type, that will still work, but you only need to wire up ONE of the contacts. If you had rather it be the opposite (I06 OFF is Continuous Loop mode), then that can be easily changed in the program.

However the User Manual shows 8 Inputs for the EZ512-DC-RC. Inputs 7 and 8 can be used as standard digital inputs, or as limited analog inputs. If you decide to use two inputs for the Continous or non-Continous modes, then the program will need some slight modifications.

And I'm assuming that this would also require a single 2 mode button for n.o and n.c like the button I'm going to use for speed select?
Again, you are now living in the Binary world. For each switch contact, there are 2 states, not 1. That means that a 1-contact selector switch can tell the PLC 2 bits of information at different times, not 1 as you are AssUMing. So for your Speed Select, you only need 1 Input I03 (which is already in the program). If I03 is OFF, Speed 1 is sent to the VFD, but if I03 is ON, Speed 2 is sent to the VFD. Again, if you can't bring yourself to think in Binary logic, you will indeed have to use both I07 and I08, but that is totally unnecessary and wastes 2 precious Inputs out of only 8. Again, a 2-contact switch can be made to work here also simply by using only 1 of the contacts.

Last edited:
Here is Revision 1 with slight changes to the last 2 rungs with an added rung comment that should make it better, and easier to understand.

Now if the Continuous Loop mode switch (I06) is OFF, that means it is in the non-Continuous mode and the conveyor will stop when Prox 2 is triggered, then restart when Prox 2 goes off.

If I06 is ON, then the conveyor will not stop until someone presses the Stop pushbutton. A manual normally-closed momentary-contact Stop pushbutton will always stop the conveyor regards of which mode it is in.

If you wire the E-Stop switch as I mentioned above, then that will stop the conveyor and the spray solenoid even if the EZ program is still running or malfunctions.

Last edited:
Ok that is exactly what I ordered push pull buttons for both speed select and continuous loop and non continuous loop.

Automation direct
GCX3193-24L
GCX3194-24L

Yes, those Push-Pull switches should work great.

I hate the roll-down menus in the EZ software, because you can easily accidently change an address by simply cllicking in the wrong place. Somehow I did that and changed the very first address (Stop Input I01) to I02. Here is the corrected version.

There are a couple of questions about the proximity switches. After Prox. 1 is triggered, will it go off again before the spray timer is done? If not, a change will need to be made. That would probably mean using Prox 1 to trigger a One-Shot (or Rising Edge M bit), then using that bit in place of Prox 1.

For Prox 2 at the end of the conveyor, once it sees the part and the conveyor stops, will the prox still see the part? In other words, will the conveyor coast far enough to move the part away from the prox, before the conveyor comes to a halt? If so, the current program will not work as intended. If in non-Continuous mode, it would restart and roll the part off the conveyor.

Last edited:
well here's a way that I see it for proximity sensor 1 if there are masks placed close together the PLC will keep the sprayer running as the timer will run with the timing that had already been in effect on the part before it so technically if masks are placed close together the sprayer will most likely be indefinitely run and not shut off between the two items.
If the masks are placed closer apart where the timer has a chance to complete its cycle then the sprayer will turn off until it sees the next one in its path

on the second sensor once the mask enters its field of view it will stop operation and stay that way until the item is removed from its field. Once the item is removed from its field the conveyor will start up again.

I ran your program in the simulator and it seems flawless it's doing it exactly what I wanted to do with the second proximity sensorin the way of staying on until some things removed from the field

On the relays. . What is really needed in essence? A relay that supplies 24v to i1 for power on and that's it? I'm a little lost on what to do with safety relays...

I'm looking at the relay schematic on page 37

Edit on the last post: I realized i1 is no longer power on. I have the wiring almost done, had to order some cable tray flex cable for the buttons..

On the spray solenoid, utilizing 2 wires, a +24v and a ground (0v) , when I connect this to the q4, would I wire 24v+ into the terminal 1 of q4 then the termainal 2 to one leg of the spray solenoid.

Then the other leg of the solenoid to common (0v)?

Last edited: