Eaton easy512-dc-rc setup for conveyer noobie questions

I will try to comment on your questions in order:

If the masks are placed [farther] apart where the timer has a chance to complete its cycle, then the sprayer will turn off until it sees the next one in its path.
It will turn off provided that the part is narrrow enough so that the prox no longer sees the part when the timer goes off. If Prox 1 still sees the part, with the current program, the sprayer will restart again for the same amount of time. If this happens, it can be prevented with some extra program steps. It all is inter-connected with the width of the part, the timer settings, and the speed of the conveyor, so impossible for me to see now how this part will operate.

On the second sensor once the mask enters its field of view it will stop operation and stay that way until the item is removed from its field. Once the item is removed from its field the conveyor will start up again.
This will only work successfully if the part is wide enough to allow the conveyor to stop BEFORE the mask moves out of Prox 2 range. If the part is relatively narrow, then the conveyor will coast far enough to move it out of Prox 2 range, causing the program to see a STOP, then a RESTART command (throwing the part off the end of the conveyor).

How wide is the mask, and how fast is the conveyor traveling in Feet per Minute?

On the relays. . What is really needed in essence? A relay that supplies 24v to i1 for power on and that's it?
The only relay you need is the safety relay, because your EZ512-DC-RC has relay outputs with dry (unpowered) contacts. The dry contacts can be used for the VFD commands, and also for the solenoid provided it does not use more than 2 Amps or 48 watts.

I'm a little lost on what to do with safety relays...
You said it had two contacts. Use one safety contact as an inline switch between your VFD "CM" terminal and the Q1-1, Q2-1, and Q3-1 terminals. Use the other as an inline switch between your +24 power supply terminal and Q4-1. This wiring will allow the safety relay to completely disconnect all Outputs when the E-Stop is pressed. (Wire the E-stop button to the saftey relay inputs so that its output contacts are held on until the E-stop is pressed). You do not need to disconnect the EZ Inputs, because the inputs do not perform any actions that result in potential or kinetic energy (unlike the Outputs), and the 24 VDC power to the inputs represent no safety hazard. That is all!

On the spray solenoid, utilizing 2 wires, a +24v and a ground (0v), when I connect this to the q4, would I wire 24v+ into the terminal 1 of q4 then the termainal 2 to one leg of the spray solenoid.
No, wire your +24 from your power supply to one contact of the safety relay, THEN from safety relay to Q4-1. From Q4-2, wire to the + side of your solenoid. Wire the - side of solenoid to the -24 of your power supply.

Note: those relays were for an earlier idea. I won't be using them. Actually I probably won't need relays as the plc is adequate enough right?
Yes, the interposing output relays were suggested before someone realized that your EZ had built-in relay outputs. (Most people now use transistor outputs). But again, make sure that your solenoid does not use more that 2 Amps of start-up current.

If you run thousands of parts through, the Q4 relay contact in the EZ will eventually wear out from switching on/off many times. You can then replace the EZ with a new one.

I ran your program in the simulator and it seems flawless...
I am glad you think so. I tried to make it do what you need, but be prepared for some surprises. Things in the real world hardly ever happen just as we would like, so keep your tweaking screwdriver and the duct tape handy! Depending on the mask width, conveyor speed and stopping time, you might need a 3rd prox at the end of the conveyor after Prox 2.

Last edited:
Ok I totally get it. The masks are like 4 inches wide so I dont think that the conveyor will coast past it's stopping point when prox 2 triggers.
The other parts going to be run are like 5" wide that will run speed 2

On the estop relay I get it now. I had that idea earlier that you mentioned. I'll use that method you mentioned. Thank you very much for the help.

The masks are like 4 inches wide so I dont think that the conveyor will coast past it's stopping point when prox 2 triggers.
4 or 5 inches does leave a little room for stopping. The Stop signal will be triggered on the leading edge of the mask, so if the trailing edge is still under the prox, you should be okay if the conveyor is not moving really fast.

There is one more thing that might help you. You can set up the EZ Display screen to display your timer setpoints, and make the setpoints editable from the screen. That would allow you to adjust the timer setpoints from the built-in screen while running the system. Let me know if that would be desirable. I think it only requires 1 more rung.

Thank you very much for the help.
I enjoyed doing it - one of the few things that this old worn-out guy can try to do.

I like that idea however is that easier than the software and laptop approach? I'd like to see what that would entail if it were implemented into the program and I could give it a shot.

It will entail only 1 more Rung 18 (the last one in the attached Revision 2). The details do not show up on the D01 Display relay, but if you click on D01, then "Parameters" inside the program, you will see that I set D01 to display and edit both T01 and T02 Timer Setpoints. This would be another optional way to set the timers. You can still monitor and make changes with your laptop program.

The main reason not to have timer editing on the display is to prevent unauthorized persons from changing the times. You could set a screen password to allow making changes on the screen.

There may be other useful Display screens that you can set up and retrieve by using one of the "P" buttons on the front panels of your EZ devices. For example, you could set up counters to count the number of sprayed 4" and 5" masks, and display the totals on the screen.

Last edited:
well I spent last night wiring up the cabinet some more. the only thing I'm left with now is wiring up push buttons and he stops and I'm done then I get to do the second unit.

I will definitely keep in touch and let you know how this thing is working as soon as I get it powered up.
they are supposed to be dropping the 220 volt power down from the ceiling any time now.

Yes, let us know how it works.

Before the Smoke Test, check your wiring for shorts and loose terminals! I usually tried to disconnect at the power supply output terminals, then check across + and - with an ohmmeter. If the resistance was less than 0.5 Ohms, then I started looking for a mis-wired or shorted terminal (or some reason why there was 0 resistance between + and -).

Last edited:
Don't forget to set the programming Parameters in your Automation Direct GS1 motor drive, so that it recognizes the 2 user pre-set speeds, and that it uses its input terminals as the speed control.

Go back and read Dan's Post #16, Items 2 and 3 where he tells you how to set up the GS1. IT DOES NOT COME FROM THE FACTORY READY FOR YOUR SPECIFIC USE. Instead, you must program the drive by setting the Parameters to match how you want the VFD to operate.

If there is an easy way to make Speed 1 the default speed (so that it enables Speed 1 when you enable the RUN terminal), then as Dan pointed out, you can get by using only 1 Speed input terminal, meaning that you can delete your EZ outut Q3, making Q3 a spare. That would be nice, because then when the Q4 Spray Solenoid relay wears out after a million operations, you can switch the Q4 wire over to Q3, swap Q4 to Q3 in the program, and keep on running.

Reading the GS1 User Manaul, there is a way to set it up so that you only need 2 outputs to control the drive as you need. Here are the Parameters that need changing, with the page number references from the manual:

Drive Parameter Function Page Number
P3.02 "4" = Multi-Speed Bit 2 Page 4-21
P3.03 "3" = Multi-Speed Bit 1 Page 4-21
P5.02 Multi-Speed 2 (Set Low Freq) Page 4-38
P5.03 Multi-Speed 3 (Set High Freq) Page 4-38

Notice that this scheme uses Speeds 2 and 3 (instead of Speeds 1 & 2). The reason is because with Speed 2, Bit 2 is ON, and for Speed 3, both Bits 1 and 2 are ON. That allows you to hard-wire-jumper your RUN command Terminal (DI1) to the Speed 2 terminal (DI3). So your Run command EZ Output Q1 now does 2 jobs: RUN and Speed 2. Now you only need the Q2 Output wired to DI4 for Speed 3, and you are setup to save your Q3 Output for future use! Neat-Oh!

If it turns out that you need 3 speeds, now you have a spare terminal that would allow setting up the 3rd speed, or if your Spray Output Q4 wears out, you can switch that to the spare Q3.

Last edited:
I will remember to do that upon initial powerup. I have the cabinet wired now. Waiting on switch boxes to be drilled. Here is a pic of my work.

Last edited:
I guess you found the 1st conumdrum of control cabinet building: There is never as much space as you will end up needing! Also it is easy to make a bowl of spaghetti unless you carefully plan the location of your wire bundles, and then route and measure the length of each wire before cutting it.

Be sure to re-program the drives before you apply power to the Q1 RUN commands. With the factory default programming, the Q1 and Q2 outputs going ON would cause the drive to try to start while also telling it that there is an extenal fault (causing a shut down). Before turning on the 24 volt power, I would temporarily disconnect the wire going to "CM" on the drives, so that no false signals can be given to the drives until you get the drive parameters set up.

Last edited: